Rear end swap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wvjaybird

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2019
New member here. Building an 86 monte , have engine and trans about ready to go in. Needing a posi rear, i can get my hands on a 95 z28 rear, with 4.10 gears , at a great price. How much of a pain would it be to install this rear? It has disc brakes which is an other plus. Thanks

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
The fbody has a torque arm that bolts to the transmission and the center of the diff, pan hard bar, and 2 lower trailing arms. The gbody has 2 lower trailing arms and 2 upper control arms. They will not just bolt in.

Reactions: 1 user

wvjaybird

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2019
Yeah , i
The fbody has a torque arm that bolts to the transmission and the center of the diff, pan hard bar, and 2 lower trailing arms. The gbody has 2 lower trailing arms and 2 upper control arms. They will not just bolt in.
Sounds like a nightmare to make work. Ive done several engine and trans swaps that are different. But never a different type rear. Wonder if anyone makes a kit for this? Think ill keep looking for a 10 or 12 bolt to put in. Thanks for the info.

wvjaybird

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2019
Don't know how much power you have, you can install a posi in yours.
Ill have close to 350 hp. But yeah ive thought about that, ive never worked on a differential , except for the basics. This is a budget build after the money i put in the th350. Id like to swap whole rear but idk, ill decide after i get engine and trans installed. Thanks

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Hope you don't like highway driving. A regular non lock up 3 spd and 4.10 gears would scream down the road. As said with 28 spline axles the parts will swap. It may have the Zexel Torsen worm gear posi. No worry of the 7.5 tiny spider gears exploding with it. Supposedly the F body housing is actually thinner than the factory G body 7.5" rear end you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor