Rear Frame Notch Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
Plain and simple, i want to run a bigger and wider rim on my bonneville. I know i will probably have to do a frame notch. My question is, when i finish cutting the metal out, can i weld back in the metal that i cut out instead of buying a kit for support. I just want to make sure i will not weaken the frame any more than i have too. Also this car will not have slicks or see any track time.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
When I notch a frame, I cut along the seam line, then trim the piece I just cut out, making it flat, and weld it back in.

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
Black Sheep said:
When I notch a frame, I cut along the seam line, then trim the piece I just cut out, making it flat, and weld it back in.

what did u cut it with

MUSCLEALMIGHTY

Apprentice
May 23, 2011
CT
82bonne said:
Black Sheep said:

what did u cut it with

YOU CAN EASILY CUT WITH A DIE GRINDER CUTOFF WHEEL! LEAVES NICE CLEAN (NON JAGGED) CUTS.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
I used both a cutoff wheel and a sawzall, but the body was off the frame when I did it.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Black Sheep said:
This is how mine was done also. Body was also off the frame. This took about an inch out.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I notched my frame with the body mounted but I used a plasma cutter and made the frame flush with the inner wheelwell but before any of that I welded a roll bar to go across to the inner frame rails. Then I cut the secton out, cleaned it up and welded it back in then added 1/4" plate to fill in the ends. There is no loss in strength using your original metal as long as it was in good shape to begin with.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
82bonne said:
What's the tallest and widest tire I could possibly run with the frame notch

The largest drag radial I've run is a MT 295/65R15 on a 8.5 rim with 5" of backspace, it is nearly 30" tall and about the widest you can fit without it sticking out of the whellwell on a Monte Carlo other g-bodies will vary slightly because of wheelwell shape and size.I know the Cutlass is harder to fit because of the squared off wheelwell and Regals have a larger wheel flare than mine.

The largest bias ply I run is a Hoosier Quicktime Pro 29 x 11.5 but on the 15 x 8.5 rim with 5" backspace these would rub slightly if when the car would go sideways so I put them on a 15 x 8 rim with 4.5 backspace and that solved the rubbing issue.The bias ply has a slighly wider section width so maybe a 1/2" of the bulge sticks out past the wheelwell.

Also my frame notch is exactly flush with the inner wheelwell. I prefer to not have any of the tire sticking out past the wheelwell especially with a drag radial.
You still have to trial and error your'e own fitment and you can always use one of the wheel fitment tools out there to aid you.Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 3,587
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor