Rear Frame Strengthening

Status
Not open for further replies.

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Kid doesn't want a hitch on his Cutlass...anyone have a pic of where to weld in a brace between the rear frame rails? Was thinking a 2x2 piece of tube steel...putting a fuel cell in the trunk so should be plenty of room.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i installed one of these in my el co,works well.It sandwiches the between the bumper shocks and the frame
G-Body Rear Frame Brace Brackets
https://www.gnsperformance.com/bodyframe-g-body
DSCF3551.JPG
DSCF3552.JPG
DSCF3549.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just welded in an extra piece of roll bar tubing after putting a bend in it to go around my spare tire well.

IMG_0015.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I bolted a piece of square tube to the lower bumper mounts. This noticably made the car feel stiffer. later I welded in a piece between the upper shock mounts. I didn't notice any change from this, but also changed the body bushings at the same time.

Attachments

• rear shock tower brace.jpg
    rear shock tower brace.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 515
  • rh brace.jpg
    rh brace.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 464
  • lh brace pic.jpg
    lh brace pic.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 433
Reactions: 1 user

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
I was going to weld something up, but I lucked out and found a pristine Valley tow hitch on Craigslist for $40 bucks that someone had mounted to a 78 Gbody. I'm pretty stoked! I can tow my kayak trailer with the Cutlass. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor