Rear framerail reinforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I came across this in a build thread the other day, just wondering if its a kit I can buy?

Im thinking no since it seems like Ive been through the websites of every vendor out there, but just checking before I start cutting up some tubing and copy it.

FRAME RAIL.jpg
FRAME RAIL3.jpg
FRAME RAIL4.jpg
FRAME RAIL5.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There is no kit, it appears to be roll bar tubing cut down to fit that area.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I guess he's reinforcing the area that he cut out for tire clearance. It would've been easier to get rims with the correct offset. Reinforcing the front side of the axle where the upper control arms attach would've been a much better idea IMO.

The rear frame tails are flimsy to say the least. The body and bumper act as their supports. I lightened the bumper and added a brace across the bumper mounts to make up for the loss of bumper strength. Did I accomplish much? Not sure, but my frame tails can no longer be twisted.

It also made a handy spot for me to mount the primary fuel filter lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 561
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
From this picture it's obvious why that tubing was added. I wonder why the C channels were not boxed before he did all that cutting. He welded those bars with the the frame resting on the front wheels and a couple of axle stands under the rear end. The it looks like he put the rear rails on a couple of axle stands to cut the frame and weld in the plates. I wonder how uneven that floor is and why for a job like that he didn't fabricate a jig to use to keep the frame straight while cutting and welding.

frame-rail5-jpg.82123

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I dont have any pics on me but my frame is notched, I boxed the rails, I have the weld in upper/ lower trailing arm braces, I put an X in it, and I made my own brace to tie the rear rails together. Plus the UMI shock tower brace and the bolt in brace between the upper and lower mounts. |

To understate it, its a bit more rigid than stock.

I should've been clearer in my post that I was just talking about the lengths of tubing cut and trimmed to fit into the inside of the rear rails behind the rear crossmember.

Chevyman540

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2016
When I did my frame notch, I just ran an 1.5" tubing behind the spring/shock mount. Tying it in with the frame rails and shock mount. And I also ran tubing on the front side of mount tying the frame rails, shock/spring mount, and crossmember. I also welded in brackets from that tubing to the upper control arm area. I also braced the lower control arm brackets and boxed the frame.
Tube frame braces.jpg
UCA braces ps.jpg
LCA gusset LS.jpg

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
When I narrowed the rails on the wagon I added a series of crossbars - one even connects the top of the spring perches to the body through the wheel tubs.

crossbar.jpg

crossbar2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
When I did my frame notch, I just ran an 1.5" tubing behind the spring/shock mount. Tying it in with the frame rails and shock mount. And I also ran tubing on the front side of mount tying the frame rails, shock/spring mount, and crossmember. I also welded in brackets from that tubing to the upper control arm area. I also braced the lower control arm brackets and boxed the frame. View attachment 82149

How you attached the forward tube is what I was referencing in my previous post. That tube looks to be an extremely effective strength enhancer - NICE JOB !!!

I would've added gussets to the rear tube as well, but your mods look like a real solution to cutting the rails down for wheel clearance.

BTW - what kind of power are you pushing through this setup?

Chevyman540

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2016
[QUOTE="64nailhead, post: 607143, member: 20804"
BTW - what kind of power are you pushing through this setup?[/QUOTE]

I've got 740 hp at the crank, not sure what it is at the wheels. Hoping 600/625 at the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor