rear gear swap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
Ok this aint ny first rodeo with gear swaps.But the first time i seen this.

Did a housing swap on a 78 cutlass (was a factory v8 car).took the housing out of another 78 cutlass(was a v6 car).went to swap the 3.73 posi from the junk housing to the good one,wouldnt fit.customer said i put the gears and posi in the bad housing,but i dont remember doing it.the pinion was like too long and too short.couldnt put the washer on with the pinion nut,not enough threads to catch the crimped nut,and the carrier was sitting on the pinion,couldnt put the bearing caps back on.i ended up buying the gears and posi for 50 bux.

Came here and searched,read countless posts and pages of threads,came up with nothing other than there was a 7.5 and a 7.62 rears

I want to stuff it into my 82 GP (its a v6 car for a few more weeks).ill probably be trying to put it in this morning before i get a reply here.but whats the chances its not gonna fit my rear end??

What speedo gear do i need for 3.73s and where do i get it?ill be running a th350 when i do the motor swap

Last edited:

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I have done about 8 of these swaps to Gbodys most from a early S-10 chevys and gmcs camaros and firebirds. I have also done a few of the later 88 and up swaps with the later 28 spline axels. Last one was from a 2000 Camaro with the torson posi and I need a set of Moser axels. Is it possible that you had a 8.5 housing and couldn't figure out the difference. Other then the spline count all are the same and will fit.

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
I swapped everything carrier and all.

But it fit my car just fine.just finished putting it in.

Now i need the speedo gear.no idea how fast im going but following a car on a 30 mph road my dash says im doing 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor