Rear gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Save um

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 7, 2015
Just wondering if a posi unit from a 1978 Camaro will fit into an 1985 442, 8.5 rear?...I have the whole setup, will it work?

Thanks!

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i haven't performed the swap but as far as i know it should work. make sure the bearings and axle shaft spline count is correct. i doing a posi and gears from a 93 chevy cop car to a 442 8.5 housing. i think my swap involves stepping up from 28 to 30 spline axle shafts. i hope others will respond.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
They both should be 28 spline 8.5". Bearings might be different, but I doubt it. A quick search on www.Oreillyauto.com will tell you if the bearings are the same

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes should fall right in.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Keep the backlash shims with the carrier and install them in the same position as they came out. That should give you the right backlash in the "new" rear end. For the pinion gear the spacer on that will be correct for the "new" rear end as well. You will have to use a new crush sleeve though. If you are going to be using your gears remember the bolts on the crown gears are left handed threads

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor