Rear hatch weatherstrip( Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
A week or two ago I made a post about the fact that how we can not get the weatherstrip for the rear hatch of our wagons. Well I heard from this forum that a 90's Caravan weatherstrip will do the trick. Well I fit the pichweld fine. I even made a post , Here , about it. I was all happy until It rained. Yep NO GO!!!!
After further Investigation the Caravan weatherstrip DID NOT SEAL in about 80% of the enclosure. Well that was removed and I sourced a universal piece that I am POSITIVE fit and sealed. I got the item from STEELrubber.com I ordered 17 feet at about 6.50$ per foot. I had some close to 2 feet left overs. I'm going to add the part number in a minute. But This is definitely something to look into if you can round up 125 dollars to repair your back hatch seal, because I bet 90 percent of the wagons out there is in need of some attention in that area. And if its let go too long, You will have rust hole in rear glass surround like I did.
They called it a "push on universal" weatherstrip. Part number 70-2831-99 once again at Steelrubber.com good luck
1548985435649.png

Reactions: 4 users

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
You know.. I was so embarrassed that I failed the first time. And wasted the 40 bucks on the caravan product. That I deleted that post. Although I may have worked for others... It just wouldn't crush enough to seal. But this piece is much taller . So I hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sorry the Caravan seal didn't do the trick for you. However, thanks for posting the information about the type of seal you finally ended up using in that area.
I'm actually back to using an OEM seal that I've had stored away for years. I never tried it out in the rain yet, but I'm sure it could be upgraded.
I'm guessing a proper length of G-body trunk seal would work well.

Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Don’t beat yourself up. There’s a lot of trial and error with these cars, especially when it’s hard to find replacement parts, and you have to improvise.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

HooptieWagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 15, 2018
Maryland
I put a used first gen S10 Blazer rear seal on my wagon. Works some of the time. Or the car leaks from the roof rack, not sure. Maybe a new S10 Blazer seal will work, if they are available anymore.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor