Rear Main Seal Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
It's the Pontiac 265 which has a rope seal.
My bad, I never knew (until now) that Pontiac had a 265 cid engine, live and learn. I did research and found a 2 piece rear main seal for Pontiacs.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My bad, I never knew (until now) that Pontiac had a 265 cid engine, live and learn. I did research and found a 2 piece rear main seal for Pontiacs.
It's all good. Pontiac's own true malaise era engine.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Reactions: 1 users

jmcghee

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2020
I love how people are so fast to spend others money. No need to swap engines for rear seal leak Check with another shop.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Try either Ames Performance or Butler Performance. They both specialize in genuine Pontiac parts and speed equipment for the 301-455 platforms. Seem to recall that there is an insert kit that will convert the rope seal to a neoprene or similar version. It is true that the rope seal is a pain in the *ss and has to be installed just so or it will leak. The builder has to be Anal-OCD when doing the job which is why a lot of shops won't go near it; too much time and patience for too little payback.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
Every 2 piece rear main seals leak. Its guaranteed thats the main reason I dont build any old SBC's , 87 and up are the best 1 piece rear main and roller cams.

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
U say your using 15w40 motor oil. I hope its not delo 400 or another diesel type oil. Very high detergent and can damage internal engine parts. Get a can of Lucas oil stop leak. Also 20w50 conventional motor oil. Try that. Should at least slow it down.
Please explain why oil would hurt the engine?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor