Rear quarter glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

theIrishman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2018
Does anyone have a good write up with pictures on removing, resealing and reinstalling the rear quarter glass on a two door? I got one window that’s leaking a little in the rain, and both have the lower quarter moldings deteriorated. I can get those moldings from Dixie Restoration.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Does anyone have a good write up with pictures on removing, resealing and reinstalling the rear quarter glass on a two door? I got one window that’s leaking a little in the rain, and both have the lower quarter moldings deteriorated. I can get those moldings from Dixie Restoration.
I recently fixed mine but unfortunately no pictures. Its pretty straight forward oncethe interior trim is removed you will see the nuts holding the window on. Remove them then while gently pushing on the window slice the butyl out. Make sure you are holding the glass. That butyl is nasty stuff but the trick is it likes to stick to itself so once you get it going use it to grab the rest

A dude named big deezy has a regal build video series on youtube and he has a vid on the quarter glass

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Slowpoke

G-Body Guru
Dec 23, 2016
The way I remove it is remove the interior panels, take the nuts off.. Then I lay down on the back seat and carefully press the window out with my foot until the butyl releases. Then you can go to the outside of the car and pull out the window without having to fight with the butyl. Daca214 is correct about the butyl. Best way to remove it is wearing some latex gloves and keep your fingers wet so it doesn't stick to the glove to bad. Use the butyl to grab the rest and it just press it on and remove going all away around both the glass and the window opening.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 5 users

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
If done on a warm day with car in the sun, that butyl releases much easier too....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could also use a heat gun to soften the butyl up.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Seeing as how you have a Malibu, the above isn't really going to apply to you

Yours is installed from inside the car, and is held in by small sheetmetal screws and retaining clips. You will need to remove the interior trim in the area.Typically, you will remove the rear seat cushion and backrest, sail panel trim, lower quarter panel trim, and B pillar trim to gain access to the window area. They are usually quite brittle by now, unless the car spent most of it's time away from sunlight.You should be able to see the clips at that point.

The advice on butyl tape is correct, and it is sealed with butyl as assembled by GM. It will require moderate to heavy pressure to break it free.

The belt molding's retaining screws will be visible once the glass has been removed from the car.

Here's an offsite link that has some pics in it....it is how to convert to standard qtr windows from Landau, but the removal process is the same.
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=100423

t.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

callmesosa

n00b
May 12, 2018

This is the video I plan on using when I go through with it

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor