rear seat delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I had a post on this very subject about a month ago. I hope this one gets more responce than mine did. I have a malibu that I took the back seat out and now I'm in the process of doing something with it. At first I was going to sheet metal screw alminum sheets to the speaker area and back seat hole. I've now decided to tack weld in thin sheet metal instead. After that I'll probable cover that whole back seat area with cloth that matches the floor carpet and plastic. I think it will clean it up and keep it light weight vs the back seat. I'm going this route because it would take a lot of work too smooth out all that area and just leave it painted metal.

pontiacman469

Master Mechanic
Jul 18, 2008
Bangor,Maine
If i was 2 do it i'd sheetmetal behind the seat to reinforce the body structure,then carpet the rest,bout like u said,unless u cage it,but u still can do the same
8)

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Just did mine.

Used .040 aluminum per NHRA. Cut a template out of cardboard so I was able to do it with one piece.

Painted before it was installed and secured it with self tapping screws.

Also put a plate on the package tray area,also per NHRA.

I am going to reinstall the stock package tray and all trim after the plate get a layer of speaker cloth.

Not the best shot but you should get the idea.
525321640308_0_BG1.jpg

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Yep it's legal, I got the book and also consulted with the N.E. divsion office which is about 15 minute from my house.

I lined the upper down bar with the upper control arm mounts to reinforce the area.

The lower bar is extra for a roll bar (not cage), goes to reinforce the lca mount.

Also got it ok'd by NHRA.

I figure if you have to install the roll bar ,might as well use it to your advantage.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
roll cage

If you were to use the roll cage to your advantage I would think you would want it to be on top of the rear springs so all the downforce would be on top of the rear axle. The way you have it is in front of the rear axle which you will still get an advantage of weight transfer but not all on the rear axle. I'm still trying to figure out why you would want the extra bars going down from the cross bar. Lighter is faster.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Gbodys are known to rip out the upper and lower control are mounts after you start hooking.

These are being hit with 600 ft# of torque and 625+ hp.

When you launch ,most of the force are on these 4 points trying to lift/drive the car, that's alot of stress.

All that force is now spread threwout the bar as well as the mounting points which are also beefed with plates.

There are also Hotchkis bars tieing it all together.

I hate extra weight also but to me this is "good" weight to me.

Heck atleast it is toward the rear.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I took out the back seat to shed some weight but also because I plan on putting a 6 or 8 point cage in later on. My bu is built for pro-touring so I'll never have to worry about hooking up too hard. I was going to tie into the rear frame/body mount area with my cage. Do you guys think that is bad or good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor