Rear shock relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
it turns out that my rear calipers are LS1 Camaro, they’re fitting a bit to close to the shocks. Not touching but dang close. The one vid I watched didn’t give any details and the ones that Spohn sells look like they push the shock toward the tire. What has anyone else done about this latest hold-up?

Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
When I did the "LS1" disc brake conversion there wasn't any way a shock would clear my calipers, I think the caliper bracket/plate could be clocked a bit to help but when placing them on there was no alternative but using shock re-location brackets. Flynbye sells them (he simply uses Baer brackets), a couple other companies do as well and of course making your own if handy enough. I ended up going crazy having the rear lowered 2", playing with the Baer brackets to help with shock travel and ended up buying the UMI coilover brackets. Coilovers would of just been easier but I was set on keeping the shock/spring combo up front and in the rear, if I had to start from scratch (front and rear stuff was already in the works) I might of given the coilovers a stronger consideration just for the clearing of rear discs and setting ride height alone, I don't see myself adjusting things once it's in place, I'm more of a set it/forget it type of guy.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If I'm not mistaken, didn't guys use a piece of angle iron to relocate the shock mount when converting to rear discs?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
That’s what the guy showed in the vid I watched, but gave no details.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Here is a pattern to try. I suggest using 3/16" angle iron and/or adding a gusset to make them closer in strength to the GM stamped axle bracket.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I welded on 1/4" angle on mine so I could get the shock mount more in line and I also dropped it down so with my lowered ride height I still get full travel with a standard length shock.

IMG_0014.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
Here are some pics of mounts I made for mine, I made basically a "T" shaped bracket that stands the shock up a little straighter and moves the shock in away from my brakes and wheels since I had the rear end built 2" narrower to fit my current tire and rim combo. Also when I go to a coil over set-up my brackets are removable if needed.
IMG_20191121_123806703.jpg
IMG_20191121_123742583.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor