Rear spring perches

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
My rear needs new spring perches so I cut some out of steel and I’m ready to weld them on. The rear is out of the car right now. Should I install it and tack them on in the car like a leaf spring rear? Or am I good out of the car since the control arms handle the pinion angle?
Thanks

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
I put my rear axle in the car, jacked it up to the normal ride height, and mounted them at the top, if you don't get them at the correct spot it will bow the springs, if that makes sense.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I put my rear axle in the car, jacked it up to the normal ride height, and mounted them at the top, if you don't get them at the correct spot it will bow the springs, if that makes sense.
Makes sense. Did you Jack the front up too or is just the rear sufficient?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I welded mine at the center point at the top of the axle tube......I don't plan on changing the pinion angle more than 25 degrees so they should be ok....... :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
Makes sense. Did you Jack the front up too or is just the rear sufficient?
Well I had my car on a hoist and kinda guessed at how high the axle would be and welded them on, I did have a string and plumb bob from the center at the top spring perch to get an idea where center should be, forgot to mention that, you can be off a little as it really wont hurt much, but you don't want to be an inch off.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I was planning on cutting out th
Well I had my car on a hoist and kinda guessed at how high the axle would be and welded them on, I did have a string and plumb bob from the center at the top spring perch to get an idea where center should be, forgot to mention that, you can be off a little as it really wont hurt much, but you don't want to be an inch off.
i should be good on location, I was more concerned with the proper angle.

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Just in case anyone else needs them...

SSMC4BOLT.png

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor