Rear Springs Falling Out Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
I recently removed my rear end and everything in the back to clean and replace it. I am still using the factory control arms but new bushings, new springs, and new shocks. I also went ahead and did the blazer brake swap. I reinstalled everything and was trying to mock up the shock brackets because the stock locations no longer work. I lowered the rear down to torque up all of the control arm bolts but when i jack the rear back up the springs come out. Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? Also is it ok for the shocks to be compressed some in normal ride height stance?

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
If using drop springs, You may need shorter rear shocks. Look into Bilstein AK1052.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I recently removed my rear end and everything in the back to clean and replace it. I am still using the factory control arms but new bushings, new springs, and new shocks. I also went ahead and did the blazer brake swap. I reinstalled everything and was trying to mock up the shock brackets because the stock locations no longer work. I lowered the rear down to torque up all of the control arm bolts but when i jack the rear back up the springs come out. Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? Also is it ok for the shocks to be compressed some in normal ride height stance?
*Suspension pivot points should be tightened to spec w/full weight on the vehicle.
*Shocks will ideally be around mid-travel when sitting idle w/full weight. The 1/2 way point allows for travel (extension & compression).

If the new springs are shorter, it can take more effort to keep them in place until enough weight is on them.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
*Suspension pivot points should be tightened to spec w/full weight on the vehicle.
*Shocks will ideally be around mid-travel when sitting idle w/full weight. The 1/2 way point allows for travel (extension & compression).

If the new springs are shorter, it can take more effort to keep them in place until enough weight is on them.
Springs and shocks are the same length as the ones I removed. I have not hooked up the shocks yet as I need to weld the brackets in place, but hopefully having them compressed about midway should do the trick.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If there is no shocks in the car, there is nothing to keep the rear from hanging at full travel. The springs are GOING to fall out. Put the shocks in and the downward travel of the rear will be limited and the springs SHOULD stay in place.

• Agree
Reactions: 10 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Springs and shocks are the same length as the ones I removed. I have not hooked up the shocks yet as I need to weld the brackets in place, but hopefully having them compressed about midway should do the trick.
The difference is likely the fresh mounting points vs stuff that's been exposed to the elements. Cleaning things up & replacing the bushings is allowing more freedom of movement. Your suspension probably didn't do that w/everything aged & dirty. The shocks usually keep the rear end from drooping far enough that the springs are no longer nested in place (which is common on aggressively lowered rear coil cars).

Just slowly jack the rear end up until the springs are under minimal compression so you can seat them properly. Once seated, the jack stands can be pulled out of the way & the car set on the ground or the rear end on jack stands @ the height you need to be able to work under the car. Any time my car is jacked up I have to verify the coils nested properly before driving the car again (even w/the shocks bolted up).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Shocks will be loose until the rear is loaded by the car weight. It is not possible for them to "fall out" since there is restricted room by the shock. Why are you welding shock brackets, is the shock hitting the caliper if so Speedway sells the bolt-in bracket that uses the factory housing mounting bracket.
1632938297321.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Shocks will be loose until the rear is loaded by the car weight. It is not possible for them to "fall out" since there is restricted room by the shock. Why are you welding shock brackets, is the shock hitting the caliper if so Speedway sells the bolt-in bracket that uses the factory housing mounting bracket. View attachment 184638
I had some scrap metal laying around and didn't feel like shelling out $40 for something I could make for free.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
A simple 3/16" steel/angle iron 90° bracket w/the correct size hole drilled would work for most apps. (on the LS1 f-body brake swap).

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor