Rear suspension lower on one side

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I have an 81 Malibu with 37k original miles. I installed Hotchkis springs and kyb shocks all around in about 2009. I left the original bushings and ball joints in since everything was still pretty tight. I’ve driven maybe 100 miles since. It always sat low on the drivers side but I thought it was just my old driveway. I moved about a year ago and I finally got back on the project.
I trimmed a half coil off of the front to get the springs. All springs are even side to side and I changed the insulators but it’s still a half inch lower on the drivers side in the rear. I was underneath tonight and everything looks ok side to side. I’m going to throw a spacer under the drivers side spring to level it but I feel like that’s not the right way to do the job. Any ideas?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I have an 81 Malibu with 37k original miles. I installed Hotchkis springs and kyb shocks all around in about 2009. I left the original bushings and ball joints in since everything was still pretty tight. I’ve driven maybe 100 miles since. It always sat low on the drivers side but I thought it was just my old driveway. I moved about a year ago and I finally got back on the project.
I trimmed a half coil off of the front to get the springs. All springs are even side to side and I changed the insulators but it’s still a half inch lower on the drivers side in the rear. I was underneath tonight and everything looks ok side to side. I’m going to throw a spacer under the drivers side spring to level it but I feel like that’s not the right way to do the job. Any ideas?
do you recall if it was like this with all the older components too?where are you measuring from?if you made the front springs the same and it is still leaning,it might not be in the front springs.measure the passenger rear and see if it higher than the drivers rear.springs make the height and all but check the back.if you've got a bodymount issue that could cause the body to dive in the lt ft.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Could be bad body mount bushings.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I should clarify I’m measuring at the rear. It’s been so long I don’t really remember how it sat.
I’m probably going to do the body mount bushings since I want to start setting the gaps and I don’t want them changing after.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you need to park the car on a flat surface and measure the ground clearance of the frame to see if it is a suspension issue, frame issue or a body issue

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

78BB-Pontiac

Apprentice
May 6, 2019
St.Paul, Minnesota
I have the same problem with my car being a 1/2 inch lower in back on drivers side. I put new coils in back and noticed the upper coil spring Perch to the frame had less space between the bottom of trunk on driver side compared to passenger side. Thus the spring perch is pushed up about 1/2 inch.
I would check that out for sure. A previous owner must have bottomed my car out pretty hard to bend the spring perch up a 1/2 inch. As you can see the difference in the two sides.
0F5B75F3-DF30-4163-8BE1-9E063128757D.jpeg
A41DE449-26EE-44D7-98D7-2B5808004EB0.jpeg

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The coils are indexed relative to the front lower control arms and the rear to the left center line. From GM Service Manual:
"After assy, end of front spring must cover all or part of one inspection drain hole. The other hole must be partly exposed or completely uncovered."

rears: "Upper end of coil leg to left side of car (drvr side) and perpendicular to center line." In plain language put the end of the upper loop facing to the left side (Use the axle tube to gauge its orientation to the left side).

Also keep front bushings loose, lower car onto itself and bounce it hard several times then tighten upper control arm to frame nuts to 48 ft lbs, lower control to 65 and the pivot shaft nuts to 85.
Good Luck

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Looks like the drivers side rear body mount is worn and the passenger side bolt head broke off. Time for new mounts.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'm going to say what others have said.... the body bushing is shot OR the frame has rusted through at that bushing. Mine were like that as well. Rusted through and toast

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor