Rear suspension

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
I’m getting ready to put my rear suspension back together and I’m looking for some good quality bushings . I have been bracing the frame where everything mounts. And I’m going to box the trailing arms. I’m not going to race my Caballero it is a street build. I’m just trying to get it to ride more modern. So basically I want to find something between poly and the soft stock rubber.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have (untested/no road time) poly/roto joint combo in UMI round arms. The uppers have the roto's at the frame side, lowers are at the rear end side. Only other add ons are a appoxinate 1" GM sway bar out of a '79 H/O & UMI's shock brace. Looking at getting their upper to lower arm braces.

Reactions: 2 users

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
poly in the bottom, rubber in the top would be best for the street.
I may have to put poly in the bottom if it wheel hopes but I’m trying to avoid that. I would like to find some rubber one that are more firm than the squishy stock ones.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I may have to put poly in the bottom if it wheel hopes but I’m trying to avoid that. I would like to find some rubber one that are more firm than the squishy stock ones.
think of how old your current rubber is..everything it's been through..new rubber will behave much differently.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
New rubber would be a huge improvement. I just replaced all the bushings in my 2005 Tahoe, drives like new. Poly isn't an affordable option for it. I wouldn't hesitate to run poly on the street. Huge improvement, and won't get the wheel hop.

Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Two things you should approach with caution. You mentioned boxing the control arms and using poly.

Consider the situation when the rear articulates. The rear is normally parallel with the bumper. Now when you climb a curb 1 wheel at a time or drive one side over a speed bump or when the car leans in a turn. The rear housing is not parallel with the bumper.

In this situation the housing twists the lower control arm. Your boxed arm can not twist and neither can your stiff poly bushing. This is what wrecks mounts.

Get a roto joint like pagrunt mentioned. UMI is one of the few companies that recognize this problem.

Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
sure poly,derlin and mechanical style bushings are the go to's but don't discount installing new rubber either,it's a solid cost effective proven product.if it wasn't every manufacturer under the sun would've chosen something else.

Reactions: 1 users

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
Two things you should approach with caution. You mentioned boxing the control arms and using poly.

Consider the situation when the rear articulates. The rear is normally parallel with the bumper. Now when you climb a curb 1 wheel at a time or drive one side over a speed bump or when the car leans in a turn. The rear housing is not parallel with the bumper.

In this situation the housing twists the lower control arm. Your boxed arm can not twist and neither can your stiff poly bushing. This is what wrecks mounts.

Get a roto joint like pagrunt mentioned. UMI is one of the few companies that recognize this problem.
Poly bushing are a last resort. I want to find upgraded rubber bushings . I have driven a car with poly body and suspension mounts and it was not comfortable . As far as I’m concerned poly is for race cars and rubber is for street cars. My end goal is to get a modern ride . I don’t know why suspension companies don’t make a kit to get a modern ride there all about racing.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
GM used to sell stiffer 1LE rubber bushings. Rubbuer bushings don't really rotate, they twist which avoids binding. Poly bushings behave like metal bushings that don't allow deflection. However, G body rear suspensions require deflection to avoid binding.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor