Rear sway bar ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
I have a 9" in my Bu, the sway bar fit super close to the bottom of the pumpkin, well I went into a driveway that was very uneven, heard a crack pop and the rear bar broke, I assume it bound up on the pumpkin and overloaded it , causing it to break. What bar do you run? or does one relocate mounting holes to lower it???

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
My 9” has the shrouded drain plug on the bottom. I ground it to give the 1” hellwig bar clearance and I have been on very uneven surfaces making the rear articulate and it hasn’t even chipped the powder coating. You might try one of the early “behind the differential” sway bars.

Reactions: 1 user

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe talk to some of the companies such as Hotchkis and ADDCO on what bars may fit ,Or a Ford car with similar suspension

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I have a 9" in my Bu, the sway bar fit super close to the bottom of the pumpkin, well I went into a driveway that was very uneven, heard a crack pop and the rear bar broke, I assume it bound up on the pumpkin and overloaded it , causing it to break. What bar do you run? or does one relocate mounting holes to lower it???
what lower control arms are you using?these bars are tempered like a spring,they spend their whole life in bind/twisting,i wonder if it just happen to gave way with age,like an old spring does.i fab'd a set of brackets for mine before and it worked well,i eventually switched to a chassis mounted bar and eliminated it all together.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
there is an old rust stained stress crack that was there prior to it breaking, I may cough it up as old age as it is like 40 years old

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
My 9” has the shrouded drain plug on the bottom. I ground it to give the 1” hellwig bar clearance and I have been on very uneven surfaces making the rear articulate and it hasn’t even chipped the powder coating. You might try one of the early “behind the differential” sway bars.
Mine had a drain plug at the bottom, but I cut if off and welded it shut for clearance, and there was an air gap between the two components, it may just be old age that did it, I know I am not as flexible as I once was

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor