Rear view mirror upgrade options

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I know the 04-06 saturn vue rear view mirror is a popular swap as it has temp, and compass built in.

I am looking for a mirror with built in map lights, temperature, and auto dimming. Compass is ok but I don't care.

I don't think the vue mirror has map lights but I think it does have auto dim. Can anyone confirm?

I know 99-04 grand am and aleros have have everything but I don't know if they have temp in the display or not.

Gmt360's have everything but also have onstar buttons which I don't want to deal with.

Any ideas on what gm product will have those features?

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Gentex 341 is what youre looking for. Has Compass, Temp, Auto Dimming, Map Light and Homelink Buttons. No OnStar stuff. I'm not sure what GM vehicles in particular it came in but worth searching for in other manufacturers as well. It will mount on the same piece the stock mirror mounts to the windshield. Ive heard Dodge Stratus or similar vehicles came with this mirror but I couldn't find any in those cars when I went to the junk yard last.

Plug is 10 wire but only 7 are used. Ive found the wiring diagram from another site:
1) Red w/ white stripe: Constant 12V
2) No wire
3) Solid Black: Ground
4) Solid Yellow: Temp sensor
5) Purple w/ white: Temp sensor
6) Blue w/ red stripe: Switched 12V
7) Red w/ blue stripe: +12V from backup lamps (un-dims mirror when in reverse)
8) Green w/ brown stripe: Door (-) trigger. Ground this wire & the map light comes on.
9) No wire
10)No wire

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 6 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Gentex 341 is what youre looking for. Has Compass, Temp, Auto Dimming, Map Light and Homelight Buttons. No OnStar stuff. I'm not sure what GM vehicles in particular it came in but worth searching for in other manufacturers as well. It will mount on the same piece the stock mirror mounts to the windshield. Ive heard Dodge Stratus or similar vehicles came with this mirror but I couldn't find any in those cars when I went to the junk yard last.

Plug is 10 wire but only 7 are used. Ive found the wiring diagram from another site:
2) No wire
8) Green w/ brown stripe: Door (-) trigger. Ground this wire & the map light comes on.
9) No wire
10)No wire
I believe that there are several replies concerning rearview mirrors in the thread on junkyard rarities and interchange, one of the last few pages if I recall.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Gentex 341 is what youre looking for. Has Compass, Temp, Auto Dimming, Map Light and Homelight Buttons. No OnStar stuff. I'm not sure what GM vehicles in particular it came in but worth searching for in other manufacturers as well. It will mount on the same piece the stock mirror mounts to the windshield. Ive heard Dodge Stratus or similar vehicles came with this mirror but I couldn't find any in those cars when I went to the junk yard last.

2) No wire
9) No wire
10)No wire

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for one of those next time I make it to the yard.

I think from searching it comes in stratuses like you mentioned.

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Check out Cams Mirrors on eBay. He also has the Blazer spindles.

Reactions: 1 users

mikeluscher159

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 31, 2017
I got this Gentex 511 w/connector for about $35 on eBay

IMG_20200718_112322_365.jpg

It's got everything you want but temp

I wasn't prepared to pay up more, since it's far from my daily driver

Gonna wire it up soon, don't forget the door trigger and +12v on reverse

Don't screw around with the adapter, buy the proper newer slightly bigger mirror button

My factory unit conveniently decided to fall off, which made install easier

So far I've had good luck with Permatex 5 minute epoxy, worked better than the mirror glue kit, or the pro stuff my local glass shop did about 3 years ago, which failed

Last edited:

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
So far I've had good luck with Permatex 5 minute epoxy, worked better than the mirror glue kit, or the pro stuff my local glass shop did about 3 years ago, which failed

What part of the country are you in? Ive had problems here in AZ with the mirrors falling off because of the heat. Im not sure if the adhesive is drying out or not setting correctly or what. The "good" stuff that the company that recently replaced my windshield used on the Monte seems to be holding up well but that Monte is in the garage all of the time so it doesnt see the sun often enough to know for sure.

mikeluscher159

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 31, 2017
What part of the country are you in? Ive had problems here in AZ with the mirrors falling off because of the heat. Im not sure if the adhesive is drying out or not setting correctly or what. The "good" stuff that the company that recently replaced my windshield used on the Monte seems to be holding up well but that Monte is in the garage all of the time so it doesnt see the sun often enough to know for sure.

I'm in NYC

So, swings at both extremes for 3 months out of the year

The cars stored outside these days, let's see how long it lasts

T minus 3 weeks

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor