Rear View Mirror

pontiacgp

pontiacgp

Canadian Prime Minister
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the mirror with the map lights but something is going on in the mirror so it's time for an upgrade. I like the ones with temp and compass in addition to the map lights so if anyone can let me know what vehicles they come in I would appreciate it.....:)

foxtrot

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I don't think I can be of any help but will offer my .02..

I know that lots of mid-90's GM's came equipped with the mirror that you speak of but I'm not sure all will work in an application such as ours.

I'm thinking that the map light should be 'self contained' and work easy peasy but I'm not so sure about the compass & temperature. I believe that the CAN bus was introduced to GM cars in the 90's and would limit your selections. My thought process here is that the temperature sensor & possibly even the compass direction could be communicated to the mirror via the CAN bus. But with this in mind, maybe I'm wrong and the compass is self-contained and the temperature sensor has a dedicated wire depending on the year.

M

Michael Watts

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2017
Have you checked on line I found one on Amazon the Center GENK 20A auto dimming center mirror w/ compass and temperature /

foxtrot

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Ebay shows this one which may work:
GENTEX 261

pontiacgp

pontiacgp

Canadian Prime Minister
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ebay shows this one which may work:
GENTEX 261
that one doesn't have map lights, the reason I like map lights is with t tops I have no dome light so in the front all I have is the foot well lights. I starting to think to pass up on the temp/compass cause none of the ones I have seen have map lights.

M

Michael Watts

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe one from one of the newer cars will have what you want?

Longroof79

Longroof79

Geezer
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
I'm thinking vehicles like Trailblazers, Suburbans, etc. I don't recall if they had map lights, but some of them had the inside/ outside thermometers...if I'm not mistaken.

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Master Mechanic
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I've done this swap many times, and have it in my GN now, and have already sourced it for my Century. If you need help, or the whole setup, I can definitely help, but bottom line.... they have no map lights.