Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I know wheel balance problems usually show up at 55 -65 mph
...but....
How can an amateur tell if it's tires or driveshaft.
From a few months ago when I last drove I could 'feel' something vibrate at Hwy speeds.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you put the car up on jack stand and run it, if the vibration is there it's in the drive train or rear wheels. If you remove the rear wheels and the vibration goes away then you know it's the wheel balance. If there is no vibration with the rear wheeels installed you can put the front wheels on the rear and try them out....but first I would look at the idler arm cause they can cause a vibration at highway speeds if they have play in them

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Good info, thanks.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Driveshaft vibrations show up in a rather narrow window, usually right around 48-53 mph. Not sure of the technical reason why but they do. They "feel" much faster than a tire. Tire out of balance feels like your driving on an egg shaped tire, its has a higher amplitude whereas a driveshaft vibration has a higher frequency.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Thanks for the above input as well. It's been a while since I've driven rwd.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I forgot to mention that if you do test to see if the vibration is present with the rear wheels off make sure you put the wheel nuts back on so the drums won't slide off....

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor