rear wheel hopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmitty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2011
I have a 1987 cutlass 442 with a 1970 olds 350 under the hood. 373 posi unit new to car. When we try to get a good launch off the line the rear wheels will not grab or spin. they bounce up and down and cause the car to shake violently. The engine has a lot of torque, and pushing 300 hp. Any ideas of the problem?

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I occasionally have this problem doing a burnout with my bu. Do you have a sway bar and are the rear lower control arms boxed? A lot of times this will fix most cases of wheel hop.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
I have boxed control arms,anti roll bar & poly bushings,550 + hp,and no wheel hop at all.
Guy

ksmitty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2011
old bf Goodrich radial tires, do not know what you mean by boxed control arms, I believe yes for the sway bar. Is that the bar running under the rear end that goes from side to side. the suspension is the way it came from the factory. No changes to it have been made. It drives normal fine and before we installed the posi it spun the one tire for ever if you wanted it to. Is this a suspension problem?

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
watch out, i've seen cars do that that end up busting u-joints, or worse, the whole axle.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
SonOfRDgear said:
watch out, i've seen cars do that that end up busting u-joints, or worse, the whole axle.
x2! I have also heard it referred to as "F-150 hop" because I guess the F-series trucks are, or were, bad for it.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Are you running all stock suspension? Adjustable shocks help, as do boxed control arms like what was already suggested.

Oh ya and the f150 hop, I can vouch for that haha. They hop like a rabbit.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Its kind of drastic but you could add anti hop bars to the rear. Basically they relocate the center of the rear and plants the tires effectively removing the wheel hop. I have a set on my cutlass with 3.73s and posi. It literally lifts the rear of the car too! I found that you have to make a bracket and move the brake distribution block forward and to the left a bit, possibly bending up new brake lines and removing the upper control arm bushings from the axle housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor