Rear window, lower garnish molding clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grnmnstr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2017
NJ
Hi guys,

I am looking for the 5 clips that mount the trim garnish molding on the rear window, lower. At the package tray.
it is NOT for the headliner.
I can't even find the actual molding or trim or garnish or whatever it is called. Although I have mine.

It's a wide clip. I tried using the headliner clips and they are too small.

This is for a 78 LeMans (Malibu)

Thanks
Tom

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Im only familiar with oldsmobile but if they are the same on all gbodys then these r them

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I think he's saying there is a cover or something that runs INSIDE along the bottom of the back window. And it's held on by clips. At least I hope so. The end clips to the package tray, if needed, I think either Dixie or Mike's Montes has repros of those, but if there's a trim piece held on by clips, I'm having a whale of a time trying to find it.

I'm searching through the parts book, but unless I can figure out WHAT the name of the darn thing is, the one that GM calls it, I'm having trouble locating it at the moment.

Grnmnstr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2017
NJ
Correct 69, GM calls the piece the rear window, lower garnish, or something like that.
I believe the clip is GM# 3069230. But it is discontinued and I cannot find a replacement part.
I've tried other clips, but they are too small.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yeah, I found the group listing, but no supersession part number. It was discontinued almost 30 years ago. Dang.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Yep, long gone. Even back in 2003, I couldn't find any.

Here is what I did on a previous Malibu, it isn't for purists, but it did work and look OK, IMO.

I located the raised spots in the sheetmetal of the car, and measured 2 additional evenly-spaced spots on the garnish molding. I then drilled the garnish, and dimpled the holes in the garnish molding to accept countersunk trim screws. Since there are already holes at each end of the molding, I felt it at least looked similar to what MIGHT have been done by GM if they had screwed them on instead of clipping them on. The area is double panel, so there wasn't any danger of water intrusion, as long as you don't go crazy on drilling/screw length.

Not 100% factory correct, but better than no garnish molding, or a rattling one, again, IMO.

Probably wind up doing it again on the current coupe, once the repro package tray is fixed with the CORRECT color vinyl edge flap

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
. The end clips to the package tray, if needed, I think either Dixie or Mike's Montes has repros of those,

Not at all even close to the originals, but marginally better than nothing. Were a disappointment to me.

Grnmnstr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2017
NJ
Yep, long gone. Even back in 2003, I couldn't find any.

Here is what I did on a previous Malibu, it isn't for purists, but it did work and look OK, IMO.

I located the raised spots in the sheetmetal of the car, and measured 2 additional evenly-spaced spots on the garnish molding. I then drilled the garnish, and dimpled the holes in the garnish molding to accept countersunk trim screws. Since there are already holes at each end of the molding, I felt it at least looked similar to what MIGHT have been done by GM if they had screwed them on instead of clipping them on. The area is double panel, so there wasn't any danger of water intrusion, as long as you don't go crazy on drilling/screw length.

Not 100% factory correct, but better than no garnish molding, or a rattling one, again, IMO.

Probably wind up doing it again on the current coupe, once the repro package tray is fixed with the CORRECT color vinyl edge flap

Thanks RR
If it comes to it, I might do the same. Might be the only way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor