Rear window molding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
I'm working on an '86 Cutlass that previously had a vinyl top. I have removed the vinyl top and got a set of rear window moldings. The problem is, there are no studs to attach the trim clips.

Is there another way to attach these moldings?

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
Search on Ebay for trim clip studs. They are screws with a solid shank where the clips attach.
Thanks, that looks like exactly what I need. I just ordered some and more clips.

I'm guessing the rear window would have to come out to put these in, is that correct?

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Thanks, that looks like exactly what I need. I just ordered some and more clips.

I'm guessing the rear window would have to come out to put these in, is that correct?
I'd say so on removing the window. I got super lucky in that my Cutlass was a factory hardtop car that some idiot had a dealer install the vinyl top at some point. When I removed it the original window trim was there along with the studs, just covered in adhesive.
However, there was enough rust that my roof skin had to be replaced which was a blessing in disguise because I believe the outer seal on the quarter window is different....you wanna look into that.

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
I'd say so on removing the window. I got super lucky in that my Cutlass was a factory hardtop car that some idiot had a dealer install the vinyl top at some point. When I removed it the original window trim was there along with the studs, just covered in adhesive.
However, there was enough rust that my roof skin had to be replaced which was a blessing in disguise because I believe the outer seal on the quarter window is different....you wanna look into that.

Yep, the quarter windows were different. I already replaced those with some windows from a non-vinyl top car. I bought the rear trim from the same car, now I just need to get that installed and there are no studs.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's a tip/idea on dealing with the filler panel. '81 Monte Carlo's & '81 up Cutlass's used the same trim & filler panel. Not being sure which mounting clips used, it may be easier to use an '82 up Monte's trim & filler as they only used top & side moldings with the lower replaced by a reshaped filler panel. From what I noticed is both plain & vinyl top cars used the same clips on the bottom.

Jweb

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2018
Salem, OR
Here's a tip/idea on dealing with the filler panel. '81 Monte Carlo's & '81 up Cutlass's used the same trim & filler panel. Not being sure which mounting clips used, it may be easier to use an '82 up Monte's trim & filler as they only used top & side moldings with the lower replaced by a reshaped filler panel. From what I noticed is both plain & vinyl top cars used the same clips on the bottom.
My friend with 4 G body cars knows a glass guy. So I will have him pull the window then re-install after I get the studs and clips in.
It will probably cost me $100 but it'll be done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor