Rear Window trim 78' Monte carlo installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
So I have been vacant for years on here, but I am trying to finish my other G body now. 1978 Monye and i removed the rear window trimyears ago. Don't know how the lower chrome strip fastens. Is there clips? where do they install? I did convert this car from half vinyl top to no Vinyl top, I remember someone once saying the filler panel between the trunk and the rear glass was different on Vinyl Vs. No Vinyl once, but I had both and they looked the same to me. Bottom line I can't figure out where the clips go to install the lower rear glass trim. Or what clips to use, or excavtly what I am doing wrong. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
No responses, maybe some pics will help.

Attachments

• 7BACD985-A292-44C8-AB74-D448AB540BBC.jpeg
    7BACD985-A292-44C8-AB74-D448AB540BBC.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 113
  • E85AC579-6868-4FB5-864C-3C15E23FCC21.jpeg
    E85AC579-6868-4FB5-864C-3C15E23FCC21.jpeg
    732.3 KB · Views: 112

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
According to the GM parts information, your 78 AZ (Monte) body style would use 6 of the discontinued p/n 3066259 clips for the lower rear trim, non-vinyl top.

That would be these. I can hook you up, brother. Don't bother buying the repros for more money. $7 each shipped to USA address. $42 for 6. Personal Check or USPS money order only. No pay pal or any other 3rd party crap. Don't do those anymore. Sorry.

Yeah, there's a few more than 10 in this pic. But it's for effect. :) Hit me up with a PM if interested.
NOS GM Umbrella Clips.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
69 HurstOlds........Sent Pm. Does anyone know if the filler panels are the same or different between the vinyl/non-vinyl top cars?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
69 HurstOlds........Sent Pm. Does anyone know if the filler panels are the same or different between the vinyl/non-vinyl top cars?
I know for 81' and up they were all the same, most replaced with the hardtop version to avoid having to mig up all of the holes and smooth it out.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I know for 81' and up they were all the same, most replaced with the hardtop version to avoid having to mig up all of the holes and smooth it out.
According to the parts book, there's only one part number panel listed for 78-80 Monte Carlo (AZ) and an additional paint-to-match overlay for vinyl top cars. Not sure what that's about. Maybe a fake grain patterened metal piece like the old 68/9 A-bodies with vinyl tops painted to match the vinyl top color?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
According to the parts book, there's only one part number panel listed for 78-80 Monte Carlo (AZ) and an additional paint-to-match overlay for vinyl top cars. Not sure what that's about. Maybe a fake grain patterened metal piece like the old 68/9 A-bodies with vinyl tops painted to match the vinyl top color?

I'd say you're correct on the grained overlay, Landau roofed Malibu's used one as well.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Thanks for the information everyone! Since I am in Mnpls/St,Paul area just got back from Street machine nationals. Wasn;t going to go but I thought I would look for some Monte's to look at the rear window trim. Out of 4-5 of them only one seemed to have the trim installed correctly. Still glad I went. One even had the filler piece with the vinyl top removed but the studs were still in place and they painted the car that way.....weird. I would say they are the same minus the studs for the Landau trim from looking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor