Rearend opinios wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’m saving for a new rearend. I’ve been reading all the threads for a couple years now. Why do most of you go with a Ford 9 instead of a GM 12 bolt? They’re about the same price, you can get them without the C clips. Is the 9 that much better than the 12 ? Since the GN and 442 rears are so hard to come by, I’m not even considering one of them.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think most people choose the 9" for ease of potential gearset changes. And seemingly more aftermarket support. Unless you buy new aftermarket, a 12 bolt rear is going to require different uppers, and a lot of surgery to fit the car properly. Most folks are looking for plug and play, i believe

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I think most people choose the 9" for ease of potential gearset changes. And seemingly more aftermarket support. Unless you buy new aftermarket, a 12 bolt rear is going to require different uppers, and a lot of surgery to fit the car properly. Most folks are looking for plug and play, i believe
Spohn and a few others have plug and play 12s

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Ease of changing gears is a good point, but I don’t feel I’ll ever want to change mine. BTW it’s not going to be raced, just a high horsepower street machine.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I went with an aftermarket 9". Changed gears to match Muncie trans, rear disc, locker, widened 2" and the cool factor. It was an easy swap with the exception of the emergency brake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor