rearend parts list

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaqstar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
pasadena, california
"so im gonna keep the 7 1/2 guys. but nay-sayers please hold your boos. haha... my stocker is non-posi. im gonna hit my local yard for that and whatever else i need. help me out. what am i looking for???

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Look for a code G80 on the service parts identification label. On a Camaro/Firebird, it is under the console door. On an S10, it is inside the glove box. On a G body sedan or coupe, it is under the trunk lid. G80 is the code for Posi. I forget all of the gearing codes, but I remember a few off the top of my head. They are: GT4-3.73, GU6-3.42, GU1-2.41 (The Horror!). Also available are 2.29, 2.56, 2.73, 3.08, 3.23, and others I don't recall. 4.11's are in some 4 cylinder S-10's if you like turning a million RPM's, but I recommend finding a G body axle with the ratio you want and just swapping carriers if it does not have posi.

blaqstar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
pasadena, california
"awesome. that sounds eazy enough. this might be a stoopid question but, is it possible to use 28 spline instead of the 26? seems like theres an abundance of 28s."

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
As long as the axles and differential have the same number of splines, it will work.

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
blaqstar said:
"so im gonna keep the 7 1/2 guys. but nay-sayers please hold your boos. haha... my stocker is non-posi. im gonna hit my local yard for that and whatever else i need. help me out. what am i looking for???

I personally would stay away from the G80 code posi units. These Gov Locks use a "locking lug" and are notorious for breaking (no slippage once engaged) and are made mostly for Pick-up trucks etc.
All the G body performance cars came with the Eaton clutch type Posi units.
Some of the earlier Eaton type are not rebuidable either. The later style and new Eatons use carbon fiber disc that will not wear out quickly, and are re-buildable. The also have a thicker (i.e. stronger) flange for mounting the ring gear and hardened tool steel spider gears. By adding a new POSI you can choose a 28 spline unit and use your stock axles or upgrade to 30 spline, and use new stronger axles from Moser, Strange , etc. Other recommended units are from Auburn and Torsen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor