Rearend shifted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellboy12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2019
Hey guys, I have a 88 cutlass supreme. I just went from 20" 150 spokes to 22" 150 spoke rims and when the 22s were installed the rearend shifted on the driver side, the passenger side is normal. I checked the bushings underneath looks good. Has anyone experienced this? If so point me in the right direction

Attachments

• 20191115_132443.jpg
    20191115_132443.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 254

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you must have a problem with the lower control arm, for now you've inproved the car turning left.....we used to do that trick with our curcle track cars

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Pretty sure the wheels caused it. Try some SSIIs and I'll bet it's fine.

Reactions: 1 user

kbonanny

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2013
Jenkins Twp, Pennsylvania
You need to get under this car and look at the frame where the upper control arms bolt to the skinny metal. Simply follow the (2) rear upper control arms to where they bolt up and then meticulously visually inspect all of that metal. You are looking to see if it is twisted, torn, folded and/or bent.
The weakest link on the G Body frame is the frame rails to the rear bumper due to corrosion, but a close item for contention is the metal where the rear differential upper control arms mount.
I have 604 HP in my '78 and along with having tubular control arms with Derlin bushing on all 4 wheels (upper & lower) I also have a set of brackets that sister to the upper control arm mount and then follow the floor pan and bolt into a stronger part of the frame in front of the rear wheels.
I have seen several frames with catastrophic damage to this area of the frame. IF, by some small miracle you only need new upper or lower control arms/bushings, I HIGHLY recommend buying these brackets and installing them being you're running wheels that are so far out of range on a G-body that the stress/strain you're adding to the suspension, frame & brake system is ludicrous. They don't cost all that much money and will just about eliminat any possibility of you destroying this part of your frame from here on out.

Feel free to ask me anything else. I'm a certified master auto tech, have multiple degrees, owned my own shop for 28 years until autoimmune disease wrecked my life and I'm seriously into performance engineering.

Reactions: 1 user

Shellboy12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2019
You need to get under this car and look at the frame where the upper control arms bolt to the skinny metal. Simply follow the (2) rear upper control arms to where they bolt up and then meticulously visually inspect all of that metal. You are looking to see if it is twisted, torn, folded and/or bent.
The weakest link on the G Body frame is the frame rails to the rear bumper due to corrosion, but a close item for contention is the metal where the rear differential upper control arms mount.
I have 604 HP in my '78 and along with having tubular control arms with Derlin bushing on all 4 wheels (upper & lower) I also have a set of brackets that sister to the upper control arm mount and then follow the floor pan and bolt into a stronger part of the frame in front of the rear wheels.
I have seen several frames with catastrophic damage to this area of the frame. IF, by some small miracle you only need new upper or lower control arms/bushings, I HIGHLY recommend buying these brackets and installing them being you're running wheels that are so far out of range on a G-body that the stress/strain you're adding to the suspension, frame & brake system is ludicrous. They don't cost all that much money and will just about eliminat any possibility of you destroying this part of your frame from here on out.

Feel free to ask me anything else. I'm a certified master auto tech, have multiple degrees, owned my own shop for 28 years until autoimmune disease wrecked my life and I'm seriously into performance engineering.

Thanks for the information, I checked and every seems good underneath so I'm gonna try adjustable control arms upper/lower. What's your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor