Rebuilding 5.7 Vortec for 85 Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2016
Hello all... so as the title says im tearing a chevrolet 5.7 liter vortec to rebuild for my regal. Since it was a carburated v6 i was wondering what is needed besides a motor and trans? Thanks for any help... PEACE...

Attachments

• 20160925_193755.jpg
    20160925_193755.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 262
  • 20160925_210219.jpg
    20160925_210219.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 230

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I looked at the picture of the motor and you do have a true vortec 5.7 with the good vortec heads. I have done a lot of these motors and all you might need is to freshen the motor and reuse the roller cam lifters oil pan and front timing cover. Start with cleaning the block and heads. Then it need to have afresh set of rods mains and cam bearing and a set of rings with a hone of the cylinders. If the bores show a good cross hach and the plugs are clean you could just get by with the rods and mains. For the heads you might need a set of valve seals and a set o 1.6 self alining rockers for a little more kick. You have enough valve spring for the 1.6 upgrade if you are using the stock cam. You will also need a electric fuel pump because the stock roller cam has no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. If you want to go to 400hp that's easy with a up grade of the cam and some better valve springs.

Reactions: 1 user

Stylez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2016
Awesome thanks for the info Yav8. This motor was in my dads 99 gmc ext cab truck. He told me it spun a bearing on the way back from Florida (were in northern Alabama). Its been sitting in his yard with a make shift cover for a yr or two. This will be my first complete tear down and internal motor surgery. Youtube has some good videos on what to do but the people can be long winded at times... how does the fuel pump compare to the 4.3 blazer tank swap?

Stylez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2016
Thanks 383, that did answer a few of the questions i have. Ive read alot about building 350s but this is my first chance at doing it even though the regal is my 5th G body. I have a goal to build a frame off restomod out of the regal but just need to get it on the road for now. Im also interested in hooking up AC since i plan on moving to Las Vegas in the next yr.... and definitely a alarm lol.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
The only fuel pump I have ever used is the Holly Red. Just cut the fuel line and install and hook up the hot wire and ground the other. If it just spun a rod bearing you are in luck. You can just replace the crank, if it spun a main bearing then you might not be so lucky. Take it to a machine shop and have them look at it. They can also clean hone and install the cam bearing if you wanted.

Stylez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2016
what does the shop work "usually"cost?, just wanting to get a ball park idea so im not floored by a estimate...

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
full work up on a motor (hot tank + magnaflux, boring/honing, decking, line honing and bearing install) is usually around $600-800

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
A lot of the 5.7 vortec motors do not need to be bored. Just check to see of their is a slight ridge at the top of the bore. Saves $200 for the boring and $150 or more for the pistons and having them put on rods. Save the money and reuse as much as you can. Just have it Jet Washed or Hot Tanked then Honed and cam bearings installed and you can finish the rest. Should be around $150.

Stylez

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2016
Should I have the parts clean or just tag and not bag them? And is it absolutely necessary to tag all the parts? I don't have a die set to number crap but i am sure I can get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor