Rebuilding AC this spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
It contains an Iso-butane blend with flame retardants and is much more safe than R-134a. It's flashpoint is higher and it is non-toxic and does not harm the atmosphere. And don't forget R-134a is a known carcinogen, it causes testicular cancer. No thanks... Countries in Europe and Australia have been using these refrigerants for over 30 years.

https://www.es-refrigerants.com/resources/faq/w/id/20/details.asp
Re
I am in the process of replacing my entire AC system on my Regal when I got it the compressor was seized, hoses were there but disconnected and the condenser was basically falling apart along with the orifice tube clogged with debris so I didn't hesitate for second to replace the 33 year old evaporator core.
And even if you decide to run what is in there I would suggest pulling the case apart and cleaning everything out and replacing all of the seals and the filter foam on the side and maybe just spend the $70 for the new evaporator.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2SRCY/?tag=gbody-20

View attachment 109794 View attachment 109795 [/QUOTE
My system was running when i purchased the car in '04. I resealed the box in '09 while replacing the heater core. The seals looked a lot like those. I converted to R134a in '06 and my compressor failed in '16. In '17, I replaced the system with all new parts except the Evaporator and the lines to it. I did clean them out though, reverse flushing using a mild cleaning solution. The only metal particles and dirt was in the lines. The evaporator was a little dirty but no particles at all. I let those parts sit for days before they were reassembled.
I cleaned, resealed, and oiled up a working used compressor that I used just a week ago. Still blowing cold..
I am in the process of replacing my entire AC system on my Regal when I got it the compressor was seized, hoses were there but disconnected and the condenser was basically falling apart along with the orifice tube clogged with debris so I didn't hesitate for second to replace the 33 year old evaporator core.
And even if you decide to run what is in there I would suggest pulling the case apart and cleaning everything out and replacing all of the seals and the filter foam on the side and maybe just spend the $70 for the new evaporator.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2SRCY/?tag=gbody-20

View attachment 109794 View attachment 109795
My system was running when i purchased the car in '04. I resealed the box in '09 while replacing the heater core. The seals looked a lot like those. I converted to R134a in '06 and my compressor failed in '16. In '17, I replaced the system with all new parts except the Evaporator and the lines to it. I did clean them out though, reverse flushing using a mild cleaning solution. The only metal particles and dirt was in the lines. The evaporator was a little dirty but no particles at all. I let those parts sit for days before they were reassembled.
I cleaned, resealed, and oiled up a working used compressor that I used just a week ago. I used PAG 150 oil to help lube it.
Still blowing cold. Yet, I do experience a mild cool at idle.
I like the sound of the Eviro Safe 134a replacement. The site answered most of my questions. I may be installing it soon.
Hopefully it cures my at idle issue. I'll post when I change over.

g3chevy

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2019
Spring, Texas
You can message me directly if you have any issues if you decide to switch over from the dark side lol. Just message me and I'll try to answer any questions you might have. Btw, I was running my A/C in my 87 yesterday and it quickly dropped from 85 degrees (outside temp) at the vent to 40 degrees at idle in my driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor