Rebuilt SBC 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtexs

Apprentice
Mar 30, 2017
Oak Cliff, Tx
Long story short I had my 74ish 350 rebuilt around April and have had problems since. Its smokes like a freight train on the passenger side of the motor. It has duel exhaust. No H or X pipe so I know its the pass. side of the motor. Coolant is still green. Motor oil still honey brown. Spark plug gapped at .45 and all 8 look like the 4 in the picture. I took it back to the rebuild shop and he replaced the valve seals. IT STILL SMOKE on the passenger side of the motor. Mechanic said replace the accumulator on the back of the 350 transmission because it can suck in trans. fluid through the motor and make it smoke out the exhaust. Carb is a 600 Edelbrock. Please help because I'm about ready to park this Bit@h.

Attachments

• 20210522_104624.jpg
    20210522_104624.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Is your trans fluid level any lower? If you suspect it’s the rebuild causing the problem, do a compression test.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What color smoke?,
I have had an accumulator valve stick in the trans before and it does smoke like an engine issue, I removed it and went over it with fine emery cloth and reinstalled it and it worked fine.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If it's smoking, then what fluid are you using?

Stock heads with stock press in studs?

Those plugs don't have any evidence of oil burning. Are you sure it's coming out of the tail pipe?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Clearly coming out of the tailpipe? Not an exhaust manifold burning an oil drip from the valve cover?
Did you check compression on the right bank of cylinders?

Bigtexs

Apprentice
Mar 30, 2017
Oak Cliff, Tx
What color smoke?,
I have had an accumulator valve stick in the trans before and it does smoke like an engine issue, I removed it and went over it with fine emery cloth and reinstalled it and it worked fine.
Smoke is like a gray blue ish color. Heads are 882. No oil leaks.. Smoke is coming out the pass. side tail pipe. Castrol 10w 30. Is it a way to test the transmission accumulator? I will do a compression test soon.

Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
How's the mating surface between the head/intake gasket? Possible there's enough blow by that working it's way into the cylinders but not coating the plugs. Another area which would be the rings if they didn't get a good seat. But with these being speculation I would look at it being a fresh rebuild that might just need some run time to get a good break in to get those rings to seal better. But some details that would help is how many miles have you put on, did/are you doing a break in period, was the bores honed or bored, did you reuse the original pistons?

Reactions: 2 users

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
How's the mating surface between the head/intake gasket? Possible there's enough blow by that working it's way into the cylinders but not coating the plugs. Another area which would be the rings if they didn't get a good seat. But with these being speculation I would look at it being a fresh rebuild that might just need some run time to get a good break in to get those rings to seal better. But some details that would help is how many miles have you put on, did/are you doing a break in period, was the bores honed or bored, did you reuse the original pistons?
Second oil ring upside down. Had a corvette do the same thing except all 8 were upside down.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Unplug the accumulator from the manifold and cap the port on the engine. The accumulator can be open. Then drive it for a bit. The trans will shift fine most likely. The cable and accumulator do the same basic job. Its a bit redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor