Recharge Air Conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You're going to have problems running an R12 "replacement" with the LS compressor, unless it has been completely flushed. Even then, the compressor and it's seals may not be compatible with the R12 "drop-in" refrigerant/oil.

I would seriously consider converting to R134a, the LS is already set up for it, adapter fittings are easily sourced, and it'll work fine. I converted my previous Malibu coupe to R134, and got center duct temps at speed of 38 degrees, and that was with the old tube/fin condensor in high 90's (F) temps.

If you're hell-bent on running fake R12, you'll need an obsolete adapter like these for the fittings, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I just re-read the OP's first post. Not enough info. Are you flushing the whole system and converting to R-134a? That is because the oils are not compatible. Are you using an R-12 equivalent (illegal these days)? Or do you have a stash of R-12? Even the equivalent freons require the charge fittings to be retro-fitted to R-134a fittings. Your gauge set has no quick-connects and those are readilly available but they must be for the R-134a fittings. The adapter fittings you showed are OK but they only work with the quick-connects.

Reactions: 1 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
I missed that you aren't going to 134 also. It will be better in the long run to just convert to 134 if you are not doing that already. And like I said before, after you change over your o-rings get a vacuum pump and pull vacuum. It doesn't matter what refrigerant you are running if it all leaks out anyway. And like the above poster said make sure you use the correct oil for the refrigerant you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor