Recipe for a DIY ZZ1-ZZ4 350 (up to 355 HP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Here is another parts list to build up your own GM crate engine for less that crate prices. I know the market is moving towards the LS as the new 350, but there are plenty of us out there who are more than happy with an old-school 350 under the hood. And if you are on a budget, notice how the part numbers for the block, crank, rods, and pistons don't change much. So, if you are looking for advice on where to start a budget build, focus on a stout short block. Then you can swap cams and heads later for more power when your wallet improves.

Attachments

• 350-300HP_Page_4.jpg
    350-300HP_Page_4.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 727
  • 350-300HP_Page_5.jpg
    350-300HP_Page_5.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 620
  • 350-300HP_Page_6.jpg
    350-300HP_Page_6.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 655
Reactions: 1 user

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
That's good since alot of us are really novices bit very handy. And you can really pick similar parts at a budget.

I picked up a set of used fast burns used on the zz4 engines did a eagle rotating assembly on a 010 casting stock bore 350 and eddy rpm cam. I would have loved to actually do the roller cam but the retro fit would have blown the budget.

For the fastburn headsI ended up also using a vortec rpm manifold instead of my first Gen rpm to match the runners. The fast burn heads allow you to use either manifold but the first Gen sbc manifold would need to be pretty match to really utilize the fast burn heads potential. Just threw this in here incase anyone uses these heads.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I checked out the Summitracing.com site for details about their blueprinted 350 blocks. They start with 4-bolt truck blocks and refinish everything, including drilling the fuel pump pad for mechanical fuel pump, plus clearancing the rails for 383 stroker cranks. Even with shipping, you could combine this block with an Eagle or Scat balanced rotating assembly and make a stout start for future HP expansion. If you go this way, start with an existing donor engine that has a 1-pc rear main, or you may need to buy a crank seal plate, oil filer adapter, and all the tin.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150100-30/overview/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor