Recommendation for Vortec Heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I have a 78' Monte that I have picked up a low mileage 350 + .060 over short block. Running the numbers it's a 1980-84 block. It is a factory reman. type engine with cast dish top pistons and I am sure a stock type cam. I have some 062 casting vortec heads to install on it. I thought I might leave the cam in since it is no doubt mild and will be below the .450 inch lift max for the vortec heads. I have built several motors, but this will be my first with Vortec heads. So being a Vortec newbie I have a couple of questions:

1) What head gaskets should I use?

2) What torque spec for the Vortec heads on the "older" block?

3) Is the head bolt length the same for "older" heads as it is for the Vortec heads?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I used the some 1094 FelPro gaskets on mine. They are real thin(steel shim), to try to boost the compression a tad. I used the same head bolts(for the old block). Wish I could tell you I torqued them but... I'd go 65-70.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
I used the gasket set for the 97 Vortec on mine. If you are using the old model head bolts then torque them to the old specs. If you use the new type head bolts then they are designed for torque to yield and are not supposed to be used twice. Make sure you follow the recommendations on the Vortec intake for coolant hose routing. The Vortec heads are missing a circulation hole that the older heads have. You have to route an external coolant bypass.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I was thinking of using the 7733PT2 head gasket for the older style block. Not really worried about raising compression, I think the smaller combustion chambers will do plenty of that. This head gasket is .039 compressed thickness. More info on the coolant bypass please. I haven't heard of this yet.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I have a 78 monte as well! I am also wanting to put some vortec heads on. I have a set of 906s. Mines a 327 and I'm not sure what my cam is. What would be a good cam? And I also haven't heard about a coolant bypass when using the vortec heads

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
If you buy a new Vortec intake it will come with the fittings and instructions. Without the bypass it causes hot spots in the heads from lack of coolant flow. Some have noticed wild temp swings without the bypass. Some folks run without it but the intake manufacturers recommend it. I have an Edlebrock 2116 performer. You have to use a special intake for these heads. The bolts are at a different angle and there are no center bolts. I can get some pics of my bypass next week. Right now I am laid back under the camper awning at Hatteras Island.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
an easy way to get the Vortec water bypass is to use a Heater Line control valve from a '96 truck. They are designed to bypass the water flow back to the radiator if the heater is not on, so you have a constant water flow through the intake. Easily fits in place of the stock control valve.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
86 Grand prix said:
If you buy a new Vortec intake it will come with the fittings and instructions. Without the bypass it causes hot spots in the heads from lack of coolant flow. Some have noticed wild temp swings without the bypass.

That is an excellent point you brought up....I use one of these for the bypass on vortec head, it's a steward racing thermostat with 3 bypass holes

emp-300_w_ml.jpg

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I have seen a diagram of running a hose from the water pump to the back corner of the intake for a bypass. I may look into that further. Any more ideas for head gaskets and torque specs?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have the GMPP High rise and don't use the bypass hoses. Didn't know I needed them way back when I did the head swap. Never had an issues though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor