Recommended big block Chevy reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
OK I'm working on collecting for a bbc build. I've had very little hands on with one aside from basic stuff(unlike sbc, sbo, and s2/3 3800) and I like to read as much as I can on any motor I deal with. What I'd like to hear are recommendations on bbc tech books etc to read. Thanks :)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this is from another forum with the same question

"NONE of them are perfect. Some are good but old and outdated. Others are newer but missing some critical info.

In short, be prepared to buy SEVERAL books to get a remotely-complete picture.

In my library:
How to Hot Rod Big-Block Chevys (Bill Fisher)
How to Rebuild Big Block Chevys (Tom Wilson)
How to Build Max-Performance Chevy Rat Motors (Ed Staffel)
How to Build Max-Performance Chevy Big-Blocks on a Budget (David Vizard)
How to Build Monster Chevy Big Blocks (Hot Rod magazine)
How to Build and Modify Chevrolet Big Block Engines (Tom Currao)
Big Block Chevy Performance (Dave Emanuel)
Big Block Chevy Marine Performance (Dennis Moore)
Chevrolet Power (1st through 6th editions, except 2nd edition) (GM)
Chevrolet Power (7th edition) (HP Books)

Chevrolet Big Block Muscle Cars (Anthony Young) Not a build-it book, but a history of the engines starting in the Fifties. An excellent read!"

Reactions: 1 user

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Thank you. I'll see what all I can find. When I bought my 97 Monte I actually memorized my Chilton book on it lol

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's nice to see that you still read, not many do if it's longer than a post or a text message....

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought some different BBC books back when I started working on big blocks and found a lot of the information was already outdated.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Man its nice to be able to tear into something and not have to stop every five minutes to look something up. Really increases speed. When I was gearing up for my sc 3800 swap on the Monte I was told it was a 3 day swap with help. Took me 5 hrs in my apartment park lot at nite by myself :D

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you don't mind me asking like what?
How to Rebuild Big Block Chevys (Tom Wilson)
How to Build Max-Performance Chevy Rat Motors (Ed Staffel)
Chevrolet Power (don't know what edition)
These are the ones I still have and I probably had a few of the other ones pontiacgp posted, don't get me wrong there is useful info in all of these publications but even when I bought them there was no one book that did it all for me plus I have been street driving for many years with big cubic inch big blocks that would be considered "race engines" which has been a challenge in itself.
The problem is most of these books are dated and don't cover the lasted head, cam, carb designs etc. that run circles around the older stuff.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Ah. I'll actually be building two dif 454s. The first one will be a basic refresh with intake, mild cam and headers. Also some head porting. The second one will be a stroker that current part availability will be handy with

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Ah. I'll actually be building two dif 454s. The second one will be a stroker that current part availability will be handy with
When I built my first stroker it was a 496 and at that time the most affordable crank was made by Callies and cost me about $1350 for a "Stealth" though it was a really nice piece nowadays you can buy an Eagle or Scat complete rotating assembly for that price or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor