Recommended Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I was recommended a Bran Tooley Cam from Lil John Motor Sports and was wondering if anyone has used it and how they liked it. I am planning on building LS3 to swap into a 4th gen Monte SS.

BTR LS3 N/A Stage III
SKU# 32944134
Specs: 229/244 .615"/ .595" 113+4

I just contacted CAm Motion and they suggested the Titan 3 cam.

Titan 3
227/237 .621"/.604" 13+3.5

They both look similar. Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
What are you going to do with the car? I'm using a BTR stage 1 which is obviously less aggressive but I am building a more street friendly car and interested in a long flat torque curve and not high horsepower numbers.... although the numbers I'm sure will be nice.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't think you would be able to perceive the difference between those two cams.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I say BTR cam, smaller lift and they use less agressive lobes to extend valve train life. Minor difference.

Or whatever is cheaper. I think Texas82GP is right, you probably won't even notice a difference. Which one uses cheaper springs?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
At first glance and from personal experience: Cam Motion. The cam in my wagon's LS1 is very close to the Titan 3, and custom ground by them.

What is the overlap of each cam?

There is a video out there where Brian Tooley explains why he doesn't spec cams with more than .595" lift on the exhaust side - it is an interesting theory (but, I don't believe it is always applicable).

Here is another option: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8702/make/chevrolet

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
What are you going to do with the car? I'm using a BTR stage 1 which is obviously less aggressive but I am building a more street friendly car and interested in a long flat torque curve and not high horsepower numbers.... although the numbers I'm sure will be nice.
I am looking ot make it a mostly street car that will see some track time.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I also got recomendations from Tick performance and Texas Speed. Texas Speed said to use their stage 3 and Tick siad use the Street Heat Stage 3 Polluter. Looking to maximize popwer but still keep somewhat decent streetability. i will need to either input this into Cam Quest or bite the bullet and get Desktop dyno and see what the estimates are.

Tick Performance Street Heat Stage 3 POLLUTER
233/248 | .627”/.612” | LSA113+5

TSP Stage 3
231/246 .640/.615 111 LSA

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Well I've had many roudy cams on the street and wanted something I didn't have to spin to 6grand to feel it. My opinion is the cams you mention have a bit more duration than I would like. But that's me. It's a hard decision to make. You just have to be totally honest with yourself. If the car is going to be 99% street driven are you willing to give up your bottom end and some drive ability with a higher stall convertor. Even with a manual stick it can get old. Your decision on what is important to you.

Reactions: 1 user

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
Well I've had many roudy cams on the street and wanted something I didn't have to spin to 6grand to feel it. My opinion is the cams you mention have a bit more duration than I would like. But that's me. It's a hard decision to make. You just have to be totally honest with yourself. If the car is going to be 99% street driven are you willing to give up your bottom end and some drive ability with a higher stall convertor. Even with a manual stick it can get old. Your decision on what is important to you.
Thank you for the honest opinion. I am still only in the planing/saving stage. I will have look further into this. Trying to find the right balance of power and manners.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor