Recommended fluid for TH-350

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
It's time to buy transmission fluid for my TH-350.
I'm finally going to mate the engine & transmission, and bolt them into the rolling chassis. So, I need to fill the converter with a couple quarts. Is Dexron 3, Dex-Merc, the way to go, or should I go old school and run Type F ? What are you guys using??

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If'n it were me, the research I've done with Dex 3 and Dex 6, I'd go Dex 6 and call it a day. Dex 6 is backwards compatible with Dex 3 transmissions, and apparently has better shear strength and more stable at wider temperature ranges and twice the expected life span as Dex 3. While initially a tad thinner than Dex 3, the Dex 3 thins out considerably after a few thousand miles according to anecdotal evidence provided by some of the seemingly more knowledgeable guys over at Bob is the Oil guy. Which means that while Dex 3 will work JUST FINE, you'll likely be changing it more often than if you used Dex 6. If you don't put a lot of miles on it, you may not even notice any difference using Dex 3. Just a thought/opinion.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
If'n it were me, the research I've done with Dex 3 and Dex 6, I'd go Dex 6 and call it a day. Dex 6 is backwards compatible with Dex 3 transmissions, and apparently has better shear strength and more stable at wider temperature ranges and twice the expected life span as Dex 3. While initially a tad thinner than Dex 3, the Dex 3 thins out considerably after a few thousand miles according to anecdotal evidence provided by some of the seemingly more knowledgeable guys over at Bob is the Oil guy. Which means that while Dex 3 will work JUST FINE, you'll likely be changing it more often than if you used Dex 6. If you don't put a lot of miles on it, you may not even notice any difference using Dex 3. Just a thought/opinion.
I will take this as a vote for Dex 3, and will research the Dex 6 at Bob's site. This car will be lucky to have 20K miles put on it in my lifetime, so change intervals aren't really a concern. Thanks for responding, your opinion is always valued!

Last edited:

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
It's time to buy transmission fluid for my TH-350.
I'm finally going to mate the engine & transmission, and bolt them into the rolling chassis. So, I need to fill the converter with a couple quarts. Is Dexron 3, Dex-Merc, the way to go, or should I go old school and run Type F ? What are you guys using??
What type of driving do you plan on doing with the car? What engine / horsepower is it going to be married to? Does it have a shift kit installed and what stall converter?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just another thought...

Dex/Merc is what they peddle now as Delco basically said bye bye to Dexron 3. So if you see Dex/Merc on the bottle, it's just another name for Dex 3 formulation.

Of course, since you get an employee discount, maybe this???? (12 pack, but you'll need a lot to start with anyway)

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
What type of driving do you plan on doing with the car? What engine / horsepower is it going to be married to? Does it have a shift kit installed and what stall converter?
Fun cruiser. No track time. 408 SBO w/325ish HP. TransGo 1&2 shift kit w/2200-2400 stall.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Just another thought...

Dex/Merc is what they peddle now as Delco basically said bye bye to Dexron 3. So if you see Dex/Merc on the bottle, it's just another name for Dex 3 formulation.

Of course, since you get an employee discount, maybe this???? (12 pack, but you'll need a lot to start with anyway)

^^ I put it my cart to keep track of it. Empty TH 350 takes 10 qts anyway. Discount makes it more affordable.

I was thinking this. At $14 a gallon, it's a very good deal.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Just go with the dexron fluid. Doesn’t need anything special. We ran dexron fluid in my dads nova making 125 runs a season going 9.70’s. Didn’t hurt a thing. I didn’t switch to type f in my race car until I was over 800 hp.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Do not use type F. It lacks the friction modifier for the clutch packs. The only thing that should run type F is Ford 3 spd automatics. Even Ford left Type F behind with the AOD. You are going to need 12 qts unless you have a small body converter. It will suck up 6 or 7 on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor