Recovering steering wheels, tough work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I am thinking more like summer heat and oil/sweat from hands constantly gripping it breaking it down.
The shed they were stored in & the garage I now have get pretty hot during the summer to pull what ever that might of been trapped in the material out (had an original color MCSS wheel just ooze that nasty stuff out this summer.) So far the PPG stuff is holding up.

Reactions: 1 user

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Has anyone successfully changed the color of a wheel? I have a black T-Type wheel in my Regal and black matches everything, so it looks fine but I'd like it more if it was claret/burgundy like the rest of the interior. I'm wondering how something like SEM paint would hold up on a wheel.

Yeah, if you want to color your wheel, SEM works great, and Duplicolor vinyl and fabric coatings available at Autozone and Advance, for half the price of SEM, work just as well. I've been using it for years to freshen my steering wheels as well as anything in my interior that needs re-coloring or freshening.

Attachments

• P 302.jpg
    P 302.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 194

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
How much has it been driven since it was painted?
I just question the longevity of painting such a high wear area and all that it is subjected to.

There's absolutely no downside to re-coloring a steering wheel or door panels. If at some point a problem with the finish develops, re-doing it is as simple as changing your oil.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
My 2+2 steering wheel is in real tough shape. The adhesive is seeping out from the leather and the leather is loose, dirty, and starting to degrade. The base wheel frame looks in good shape however.
/

You might consider this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/233006185754

I use these in my GN. I am able to attach the GN horn assembly to it. Perhaps your Olds stuff will fit.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There's absolutely no downside to re-coloring a steering wheel or door panels. If at some point a problem with the finish develops, re-doing it is as simple as changing your oil.
I have done plenty of interior parts with SEM with no longevity issues but if I have to re-do a steering wheel because of wear then I would consider that a downside IMO.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I have done plenty of interior parts with SEM with no longevity issues but if I have to re-do a steering wheel because of wear then I would consider that a downside IMO.

Well, I've been re-painting steering wheels for decades with absolutely no problem. It doesn't wear off, peel, or chip. The Steering wheel I have on my GN right now hasn't been refinished for probably 7 or 8 years, or more, and that was not even a grey wheel, I think dark blue or maroon -- blow the picture up and take a look:

Attachments

• Picture 274.jpg
    Picture 274.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 186

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
Here's another wheel I used silver duplicolor vinyl and fabric that I used for a couple years before I replaced it with another style wheel on my black and silver el Camino. There's no downsides, my friend. :)

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 186

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Nov 4, 2012
How close is the SEM burgundy paint? From what I've read it's a shade too light. I know the burgundy from Duplicolor is way off.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
How close is the SEM burgundy paint? From what I've read it's a shade too light. I know the burgundy from Duplicolor is way off.

Yes, there's not many choices with Duplicolor, but SEM has a larger variety of colors. Maybe you're looking for Claret rather than maroon. I'm not sure myself what colors SEM carries in spray cans. I used to have a burgundy T-type and I had some mixed in a claret, which is a darker burgundy/maroon, to match my interior and in fact re-finish it's steering wheel.

Attachments

• LEATHER SEATS 5.jpg
    LEATHER SEATS 5.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor