Red vs Blue Lock-tite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The guy at the speed shop recommended I use red lock-tite on the adjustable clutch pivot ball I am installing. I use blue on lots of things but red? I once had to remove a fitting that had been red lock-tited and almost destroyed the fitting and what it was attached to. I know if I get the adjustment right I probably will never have to futz with it again but what if I do? Red seems kind of extreme. Is there a remover/softener for the red? I think blue should be enough as it doesn't even see serious heat. What do you guys think?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
go with your gut,that *ss-hat isn't the one making adjustments on your car later.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I used to work in industrial sales, and sold lots of Loctite to MRO business and more. I've seen some ugly results of guys using permanent(red) instead of high temp(also red). Removal of hardware usually requires a cutting torch when the permanent is involved!!!!
For what us guys do on our cars, blue medium strength threadlocker does just fine. I have a cool chart thing, I'll try to locate it and post a pic.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
requires a cutting torch when the permanent is involved!!!!
And I will take THAT advice to the bank. That was what I was afraid of. The insert can't come out because the trans has a casting dimple that covers it. But the pivot shaft can unscrew so I'll use the BLUE and if it comes loose I will deal with that later.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Blue it is. I've used blue on a few threaded parts on .50 cals to hold them on during my active service. I get violent when behind one any chance I get to use one. All my automotive & gunsmith work get it too.

Nov 4, 2012
I personally hate thread locker but I only use blue when it's required. I think it is Permatex that puts the blue thread locker in a red bottle and the red loctite in a blue bottle. I can't make any sense out that sh*t.

I much prefer antiseize, I'm trying to make things easier to get apart, not harder!

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I much prefer antiseize, I'm trying to make things easier to get apart, not harder!
Yeah, but sometimes you need things to stay put and not work their way out, for me an application that would use anti seize would be completely different from something requiring a locking compound. I will anti seize my spark plugs but Loctite my torque converter and flexplate bolts

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I always use blue no matter what.

Reactions: 1 user

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I only use red on torque converter bolts and at work the bolt that holds the yolk into the trans and maybe a few other items here and there with the blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor