regal alternator help 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Need some help again guys. My 92 regal with the 3.8 keeps popping alternators im on number 4. They keep running the battery dead overnight and get really hot to the touch like you can see smoke there so hot and it hums. But if i unplug it the battery wont go dead. Im on number 4 because they fry themselves if i leave them plugged in to long. Any ideas guys?

And isnt the brown wire supposed to be a keyed hot not full time? Well its always got power

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
image-1.jpg

instro84

Apprentice
Dec 7, 2008
So Cal
sounds like you have a short somewhere if the battery drains overnoght and alt get hot to the touch.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
instro84 said:
sounds like you have a short somewhere if the battery drains overnoght and alt get hot to the touch.

Thats kinda what i was thinking but i needed some second opinion. I was hopin somebody would say ignition switch or somthing lol

I really wanna sell this car i bought it for me but i really dont like it lol

turboaudi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2013
upstate NY
is it a 92 ? 92 regal is a w body the wiring diag is for a g body check & see if anything has been jumped in the fusebox an aftermarket radio wired wrong can do this also has the alt plug been replaced ? it may be wired wrong also dave

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
Yes the brown wire should only have power with key on.check for short in the alternator harness.unplug ignition switch and see if the brown wire goes dead,if yes,replace ignition switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor