Regal frame notch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muswagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2018
Been collecting parts. have the body sheet metal stuff I need (rockers, quarter patches, etc).

I also bought a frame notch kit from southsidemachine, its not here yet so have not seen the instructions, but for $105 I thought it was a good deal.

My question is do I have to lift the body off the frame to cut and notch, or can it be done attached? I tried searching and did not really get an answer.

I am sure once I pull the car into my garage I will get a better idea. I have a maxx jaxx lift so separating the two won't be that big of deal, but would still like to avoid

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
It's easier with the body off to cut it and then weld back on. I think several have done it with the body on, but they do separate the body slightly to get some working room IIRC.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I did mine frame off.

I used an Allstar Performance plate and its just not quite right, definitely recommend UMI or SSM.

I dont really see how you could do it with the body one but Im sure its possible.

If youre taking the body off look into boxing the frame rails too. I used ~6" strips of 1/8th" (Allstar sells it to go between door bars on circle track cages) , with 1" of the bottom lip of the C channel cut kinda in a perforation and folded up, gave it a nice flange on top and bottom to weld to. Put a ratchet strap at the middle body mount hole to keep the heat from spreading the frame rails.

See how quick it snow balls?

Muswagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2018
I am dizzy from that reply lol.... This is a polished turd project so not sure I want to get that into it. I am kinda digging the slightly separating idea.

With that said, any pics of where I should be bracing when I do of course take the body off and get hit by the big rolling snow ball? ;)

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
I am dizzy from that reply lol.... This is a polished turd project so not sure I want to get that into it. I am kinda digging the slightly separating idea.

With that said, any pics of where I should be bracing when I do of course take the body off and get hit by the big rolling snow ball? ;)

Haha I mustve spent 20 minutes typing it in between switching out parts at work, hopefully my edit makes it clearer

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I did my frame notch for my Monte with the body on and no lifting of the body, IMO it was pretty easy doing it this way.

87National55

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2018
Personally if I would do it again I would still lift body. Easier to weld and fab in all your supports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor