Regal no-start problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mearly65

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 14, 2008
Athens,PA
Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my 87 Regal and could use some advice. My wife borrowed it today. Started right up at home and drove about 5 minutes to a store. She came out, pumped the gas once(told her she didn't have to do that after it was warmed up) and she flooded it. It cranked once, she turned the key off and then tryed cranking it again. No crank this time. She called me and tried cranking it while I was on the phone with her and nothing happened. I told her to pop the hood and wiggle the battery cables if possible and then try it. I heard it crank one more time and that was it. It was probably an hour before I was able to get to the car. I reached under and jiggled the starter wires, battery cables and checked the ignition fuse under the dash. Everything's fine. Finally had to call AAA and get it towed home. The only thing I can think is that the starter had a catastrophic failure at that exact moment. But there were never any warning signs. Never had a no crank problem in the past. No sluggish cranking, no clicking like starters usually do right before they die. All the lights work in the car so the battery is not dead, it won't even click when the key is turned. Any suggestions before I lay out in the snow and drop the starter?
Thanks

you may have some cylinders full of gas....pull the plugs and try to turn it over....it may turn then...if it does you will find that it had pumped fuel out of the plug holes... If this is the case you most likely will have to put some oil in the plugs holes, because if it was that flooded it most likely washed the cylinder walls.

You can check the purple wire for power with a test light when the key is turned to the crank position. Make sure you have 12 volts at the starter from the battery. If those check out good, try to turn the engine over by hand to make sure it isn't seized. If it turns over fine, it most likely is the starter. There isn't much else you can check without having to crawl around in the snow.

starters won't always give you notice. but you can try the above, also try banging on the starter with a hammer. but if it's not even clicking, it's probably either a bad solenoid, or no power. oh, sometimes the starter is on the ignition fuse.
hope it helps!

mearly65 said:
Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my 87 Regal and could use some advice. My wife borrowed it today. Started right up at home and drove about 5 minutes to a store. She came out, pumped the gas once(told her she didn't have to do that after it was warmed up) and she flooded it. It cranked once, she turned the key off and then tryed cranking it again. No crank this time. She called me and tried cranking it while I was on the phone with her and nothing happened. I told her to pop the hood and wiggle the battery cables if possible and then try it. I heard it crank one more time and that was it. It was probably an hour before I was able to get to the car. I reached under and jiggled the starter wires, battery cables and checked the ignition fuse under the dash. Everything's fine. Finally had to call AAA and get it towed home. The only thing I can think is that the starter had a catastrophic failure at that exact moment. But there were never any warning signs. Never had a no crank problem in the past. No sluggish cranking, no clicking like starters usually do right before they die. All the lights work in the car so the battery is not dead, it won't even click when the key is turned. Any suggestions before I lay out in the snow and drop the starter?
Thanks

Here is the major issue...the key words "Wife, Borrowed, Regal" lol... :rofl:
I've found out that sometime the starter mounting bolts come loose and will cause a bind in the started and flexplate/flywheel... Check this first.
I've also found out that a started will not indicate any problems and just crap out.. sometimes in wet weather (big puddles or melted snow puddles?!?! ) or extreme heat.(which is not your case right now). Or just plain old saturated with oil from leaks..

In any case good luck.. I do have a used one lying around for the Regal if you really need one (olds 307).. it's free.. you just pay for shipping.. Jersey to Pa..

Let me know.

Two other things you might want to check. The electrical part of the ignition switch located on the lower steering column, there is a rod that moves the switch from on to crank etc. If the switch came loose, it can move and then it won't send power to the starter. The other thing would be the neutral safety switch. Hope these help. 😀
............................mickey-d :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor