Regal with a stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I have yet to see any factory stick Monte's in western Pa but somewhere out there a few could be floating around.
I have seen 4 factory stick Monte's. All of them were originally 305 4 speeds. I used to look for the 78-80 Monte's in the junk yards because they typically would have options on them that the Malibus wouldn't (delay wipers, gauge packages, cruise control, bucket seats, etc. In all the years of looking, I have only seen one with a Buick V6 and it was an 80 turbo. Seems most of the 78-80's around here either had the Chevy V6 or the 305. Not sure why. Here is one of the ones I saw .
0c55083e-01bc-4770-8d89-b6847e32856a.png
41e585aa-a7d4-4bba-9142-cb477c6e3512.png

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Here's what was available in 78 for Olds. Note the gear ratios for the 5 speed are different than the gear ratios listed in the service manual for some odd reason.
Thats a very interesting piece you posted. Thank you for posting it.
It is interesting to see that the Buick V6 was available with the 3 speed and the 5 speed, but not the 4 speed.
It is also interesting to see the 3 and 4 speed 1st gear ratios as 3.11 on both of them. On the Chevrolets, they were 3.50 for the 3 speed and 2.85 for the 4 speed. This I can attest I have 3 factory 4 speed gear boxes and 1 3 speed.
But it is interesting to see that each division was still doing things slightly different from each other.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
When I was younger I worked at a used car lot that mainly delt in mucle cars however g-bodys still had book value at the time and we bought and sold many of them. In fact that's how I got my daughter's Hurst Olds. Anyway we had a number of stick 78-80 A's the ones I remember well wer mostly 6 cylinder 3 speed Malibu's we did have a black with red buckets console 4 door aroback Cutlass with a 305 Chevy and a 5speed I remember it well because it was so odd the owner of the lot drove it for a few years we all liked it but it was rough and he sold it to a stock car guy. I'm guessing it got cut up for street stock. Another odd one was a 442 5speed 260 aroback white and blue. My first boss when I was a deckhand on a lobster boat out of shark river had a black El Camino SS with a 4 speed that he used to haul bait. And when I worked a5 my uncle's junkyard/body shop I parted out a grand LeMans 2 door that had a Buick v6 and a 3 speed with a bench seat black with tan interior no kind of options. I parted it to build a 81 Cutlass 454 with a super T10 To this day one of the last cars left at what was my uncle's yard is a red El Camino SS with a 4 speed I posted pictures of it in another thread but I don't remember where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor