Regluing headliner, weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
I need to re-glue my headliner.
I have no garage, or shelter of any kind where I could do this. The weather around here is perpetually sunny, and 90° in daytime sun.
Will this cause problems with the adhesive?

86CLCruiser

Apprentice
May 4, 2008
it shouldnt, just make the set up time for the glue to set up less. It also depends on what kind of material your using. Regular headliner material will be just fine, suede tends to not wanna stick to sh*t if it gets too hot

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
re-gluing the headliner is just a temporary fix, if you could you should replace the whole headliner with an abs plastic one that will last the life of the car. I tried to re-glue my headliner and it was a nightmare! first off the glue actually started to melt the backing foam which was deteriorating badly, and there were a ton of wrinkles in the cloth material that stuck together. After taking the headliner out (which is a b*tch without breaking it apart!) I didn't want to go through it again so i just replaced it with a new one! With your hot weather year round the glue will probably hold for maybe one year if you're lucky and you will be doing it again! There are pics of my headliner in my profile.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Don't bother, you can't really re-glue the headliner. What happens is the layer of foam between the board and fabric deteriorates, (literally turns to dust) and that is why the fabric falls. If you put glue on the fabric, it will just soak right through it and make a mess, and it won't look good. Either have an upholstery shop recover the board, (about $150-200) or there are kits where you use a rod suspended fabric headliner on the net for about $85-100. I used one of the kits, and it looks great and is fairly easy to do.

-UT-

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Actually, the foam is practically brand new. Bad glue was used so it just fell right off within a month.

So if this doesn't work, got a link to the kit?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
If you are doin it in hot weather, I think humidity will cause more problems. If you can, do it in an air conditioned room. Try not to beath in alot of the fumes from the adhesive.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Humidity has been at most 50% around here. I have neither air conditioning nor space in my apartment for it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Go to Jo-Ann fabrics to buy the material, then go to Wal Mart and buy 3M General Purpose Trim Adhesive. DO NOT USE DURO BRAND GLUE!!!! It will not stay up, and will fall within 24 hours. I have tried it more than once and had the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor