Relocate speedo cable hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My 1983 Bonneville speedometer has been jumping around ever since I rebuilt the manual transmission. Prior to that I had no speedometer for many years because the cable had touched the exhaust pipe, melted, seized, and broke the drive gear loose from the output shaft. So I had to take the entire transmission apart to secure the drive gear back in place. Since the car got a brand new speedo cable I was puzzled as to why the speedo was bouncing around so much. Today I put the car up and took the cable back out. It was fine, no rust, no kinks, and I cleaned and lubed it anyway. When I tried to get the cable back through the firewall and up to the dash I was confounded by all the junk in the way. That is when I realized that the convoluted path the cable must take is probably why the speedo is bouncing. When it was an automatic car I guess the cable path is less crazy. But now with the new clutch linkage directly in the way I can't even get the cable past the pedals. Worse, the Pontiac dash has a triangular shaped tunnel that the cable must pass through that goes through the ductwork and exits nowhere near the firewall hole. I need to make a new hole that is a straight shot to that cable tunnel in the dash. I fed a long rod through the tunnel to see where it ended up. It passed close to the neutral start switch on the clutch pedal and hit the firewall at a fairly empty spot. It got dark so I quit but I think the power booster may be in the way on the other side. Has anyone found a better place for the cable to pass through the firewall?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ever thought of something like this instead? I'm toying with the idea of using this.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No- I have nothing electronic in this car except the radio an gauges. KISS.

• Winner

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
UPDATE: It took a while but I found a good spot. Just below the power booster and to the side of my clutch linkage and next to the bulkhead connector. After taking the washer fluid tank off I had a good shot at the firewall with the drill. It is a nice smooth sweep up from the bottom of the body along the combination valve, around the Z-bar, and over the clutch upper push-rod. As it enters it goes up pretty straight to the back of the speedo. More important- nothing inside was in the way. By the time I got everything back together it got dark again. I will test tomorrow to see if this finally cured the bouncy speedo. IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0111.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well it's better, but not perfect. In fact MUCH better. But the speedo needle is still a little nervous. Is there a dampening mechanism in speedometers? If there is then it acts like that is not working. I know the gauges have a dampening fluid inside and when that leaks out they bounce around. This is acting like that. EDIT: I also managed to disconnect my neutral start switch on the clutch pedal. I had to claw my way back through the rat's nest of wires to get up there at it. I see what happened- the speedo cable passes right next to the switch- easy to knock the connector off. Endless headaches.

Last edited:
  • Sad

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well it's better, but not perfect. In fact MUCH better. But the speedo needle is still a little nervous. Is there a dampening mechanism in speedometers? If there is then it acts like that is not working. I know the gauges have a dampening fluid inside and when that leaks out they bounce around. This is acting like that. EDIT: I also managed to disconnect my neutral start switch on the clutch pedal. I had to claw my way back through the rat's nest of wires to get up there at it. I see what happened- the speedo cable passes right next to the switch- easy to knock the connector off. Endless headaches.
Does the cable need lubed with some grease? Might be transfering its rough ride to the speedo. I haven't seen them in ages but I remeber places like OPGI, Classic Industries & Year One used to sell an fitting to go on the trans side of thee cable to pump grease into it & might be what you need to lube it up.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I lubed it to death with Super Lube which leaves Teflon behind when it evaporates. I got on the highway and it seemed better. Maybe it needs miles to work any kinks out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor