Remote filter setup Olds 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

84/ttop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2012
Washburn, ND
Been awhile, finally have the means to get back to projects. Working on my 455 swap and wanting to run a remote filter for access and ability to easily mount a pre-lubing pump.
I'm trying to decide what to do with the filter, both in where to mount the filter base and what filter to use. My initial thought is to just stick to what would be stock configuration, but running a remote filter gives the option to run pretty much whatever I want on the engine. (455 going into a 84 cutlass, 7qt pan, hopefully headers, aluminum head/intake)
So I guess the real question is, are others using non-stock filters on their setups?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have dual remote filters on both BBC Monte and my SBC Regal, I used Transdapt filter mounts and installed them both on the core support to give me easy access and there is plenty of ground clearance in this location.
I use 10 AN braided lines and hose ends for this set up and I use the K & N HP 3001 filters.
You would just use the Olds block adapter for your set up.

Reactions: 1 user

84/ttop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2012
Washburn, ND
I have dual remote filters on both BBC Monte and my SBC Regal, I used Transdapt filter mounts and installed them both on the core support to give me easy access and there is plenty of ground clearance in this location.
I use 10 AN braided lines and hose ends for this set up and I use the K & N HP 3001 filters.
You would just use the Olds block adapter for your set up.
Any reason for using filters with a 8-11psi bypass?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not sure. I recall seeing a "thinner" oil filter adapter thingie before. Mondello has one, but I think Rocket Racing had one too, but don't recall. I believe it doesn't use a bypass and moved the filter further inward toward the block to maximize header clearance.

I'm not sure of any adapter plates to bolt on the side of the block, and there may be those "spin on" ones as well, but I'm not too sure about them. If you can find a bolt on adapter, that would be good. Getting to the oil filter from under the hood is way better than getting it off from underneath with headers. Also, you can run an oil cooler with the filter setup.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Contact Extreme Supreme in that link you put up. He might still have one for sale. I have his Serpentine Adapter Brackets, well made.

84/ttop

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2012
Washburn, ND
Hadn't thought about the oil cooler, I'll look into that. And yeah, I'll probably just contact Extreme Supreme. Not really finding anything else. Thanks

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Not sure but a Olds diesel may have what you’re looking for as far as a cooler but I think they went to the radiator tank with the hoses. Been a long time since I’ve seen one so I could be wrong. Haden makes an oil cooler adapter but don’t know about a filter relocation setup.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Not sure but a Olds diesel may have what you’re looking for as far as a cooler but I think they went to the radiator tank with the hoses. Been a long time since I’ve seen one so I could be wrong. Haden makes an oil cooler adapter but don’t know about a filter relocation setup.
Yes, they do, have the fitting on the adapter but still use a regular filter. Now just to find one, a lot those blocks were scrapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor