MALIBU Remove seat belts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
I’m trying to restore the rear seat side panels on my 80 Malibu Coupe. How do you remove the seat belts ?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I’m trying to restore the rear seat side panels on my 80 Malibu Coupe. How do you remove the seat belts ?
If you plan to also remove the belts themselves to reconditioning you need to remove the retractor from in the door jamb, it's the black plastic lever that flexes when you push on it, has 2 screws. After removing the screws it may pop forward 1/2" or you may need to rotate it. If not removing the belt entirely skip this step.

Then you unbolt the strap end from the floor near the rocker panel, gently pry the plastic triangle cover off the b-pillar mount point and remove that bolt as well.

Remove the lower seat cushion so you can remove the lower rear interior plastic panel. You may be able to slide it out from under the upper panel, or if it's too hard, you'll remove the upper rear opera window interior trim panel, assuming you be already removed the bpillar molding by this point before your post.

You can feed the strap end you unbolted from the floor through the lower panel at that point.

Then, again, if you plan on removing the belt entirely you can remove the mechanism from inside the qtr panel.

Reactions: 1 user

80/MALIBU/COUPE

Greasemonkey
Feb 17, 2021
TUCSON AZ
just did this the other day.. Unbolt and remove the complete assembly then feed the belt threw the panel ending with the buckle last. i dont have any of the covers to be careful with and both my retractors were not hooked up so it was vey easy ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor