Removed the Dash now no lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2021
I have a 85 Cutlass Supreme. I the dash wrapped over this past weekend. Now that the dash is back in I have no lights. I bought a new headlight switch but it appears that they broke the clear clip on the side of the unit. There's a wire that connects to it. Anyone know where I can get a new one? Auto Zone & O'Reilly only carry the switch. Any help would be appreciated.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That is the headlamp night finder lamp fiberoptic cable. It's not a wire. It's sheathed in black. It slides into the back of the switch housing clear connector as you put it. There's a gray bulb holder about a foot down from there, maybe less. It comes apart and there's a special little bulb in there that is similar to a 194 bulb, but has a flat top on it for fiber optic. Can't recall the number. It's purpose was to shine a little blue light next to the headlamp switch to help you find it at night. It lit up with the ignition switch on. It's sort of useless, but it is what it is.

The only way those bozos could have broken the clip was if you had left the switch housing in the dash bucket when you sent the dash to them. You could pull those with small (8 mm head? maybe not?) screws. The fiber cable has a little brass sleeve that slides into the back of the clear clip.

It's interesting that I bought a new housing surround for the headlamp and dimmer switches years ago from the dealer, and it comes with a new clear clip on the back. Problem is, I don't know the part number and can't find it listed separately in the parts information. It appears it will have to be a junkyard gem item or get it from someone parting out a car. I'll continue to search and see if I can find a part number for the housing.

I would likely use an LED bulb 194 style. It should easily put out enough light to give you that blue hue you seek.

Here's a picture of the cable and gray bulb housing from another thread.

fiberoptic-jpg.90442

Here's one with the clear clip on the end.

img_20201116_171749-jpg.162113

Reactions: 1 user

IamMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2021
That is the headlamp night finder lamp fiberoptic cable. It's not a wire. It's sheathed in black. It slides into the back of the switch housing clear connector as you put it. There's a gray bulb holder about a foot down from there, maybe less. It comes apart and there's a special little bulb in there that is similar to a 194 bulb, but has a flat top on it for fiber optic. Can't recall the number. It's purpose was to shine a little blue light next to the headlamp switch to help you find it at night. It lit up with the ignition switch on. It's sort of useless, but it is what it is.

The only way those bozos could have broken the clip was if you had left the switch housing in the dash bucket when you sent the dash to them. You could pull those with small (8 mm head? maybe not?) screws. The fiber cable has a little brass sleeve that slides into the back of the clear clip.

It's interesting that I bought a new housing surround for the headlamp and dimmer switches years ago from the dealer, and it comes with a new clear clip on the back. Problem is, I don't know the part number and can't find it listed separately in the parts information. It appears it will have to be a junkyard gem item or get it from someone parting out a car. I'll continue to search and see if I can find a part number for the housing.

I would likely use an LED bulb 194 style. It should easily put out enough light to give you that blue hue you seek.

Here's a picture of the cable and gray bulb housing from another thread.

fiberoptic-jpg.90442

Here's one with the clear clip on the end.

img_20201116_171749-jpg.162113
That's exactly it!!! Thanks a bunch. The car was sent with the dash still intact. They were suppose to remove, wrap and re-install. I'm guessing they really didn't know how to remove the dash. I can't find the housing anywhere. I do see a used one on Ebay.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Found the part number. But I couldn't find a new one anywhere.

GM p/n 1988251. PLATE, HDLMP SW PNL G-body Olds 84-88

Good thing is, 4 doors even had the same dash, so any G-body Olds 84-up will have one.

IamMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2021
Found the part number. But I couldn't find a new one anywhere.

GM p/n 1988251. PLATE, HDLMP SW PNL G-body Olds 84-88

Good thing is, 4 doors even had the same dash, so any G-body Olds 84-up will have one.
Thanks a bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor