removing 231v6 from cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

84tcutty

n00b
Jul 28, 2014
I would like any info about replacing my 231 v6 (84- cutlass supreme) with the LT-1 egine ,trans, and computer from a 1996 fleetwood. how replace and connect harness and and ignition system. please help

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
I got a painless LT1 wiring harness for 350 I paid 730 thru summit racing it is plug and play with vats bypass and 4L60e provisions

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
^^^^^^^^ You absolutely have to buy that part or installing and getting the ignition to work will be extremely annoying I just got rid of a fleetwood trust me on this one.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
You also need a kit from a company called 'Iceman' to mount up the 4l60e trans unless you are going to burn a different computer and stay with the 2oo4r hope this helps.

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
pencero said:
^^^^^^^^ You absolutely have to buy that part or installing and getting the ignition to work will be extremely annoying I just got rid of a fleetwood trust me on this one.

That is why I bought it but I don't need it now so someone is going to get a deal everything is labeled by painless

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Yes I just researched installing the LT1 into my Fleetwood w/ 350 TBI , decided I couldn't afford it and scrapped the car unfortunately. Had to choose between it or the cutlass and chose the cutlass of course. The only things you need extra to fit the Lt1 into cutlass are the iceman crossmember and the different engine mounts. On the fleetwood the engine mounts would have worked stock, but in the olds you will have to switch them out for different ones designed to work with a chevy engine. You will also have to plan on redoing your exhaust so try to get whoever is selling you the LT1 to include the entire exhaust and as much of the drivetrain as possible or you may have to cut and splice a different yoke to get power to the rear end which is kind of lame and looks shady if you don't plan ahead. Besides that all you do is order those extra parts and there is plenty of space so it drops right in... if your body is bent and you have problems you will just have to get creative w/ your exhaust and order a dual electric fans kit for your radiator or it could be a shortlived endeavor easily.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Oh one last thing since you have so few post you do know you have to put a new radiator right? The inlet outlet size on the v6 rad is almost definitely not going to be the right size and even if you do find a tube that mates up it would fail behind the lt1 very fast. Consider getting a new rad instead of gambling on the 1 in the junk car. You want to be able to enjoy the LT1 not find yourself praying behind it lol

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You will need a LT1 rad because of the reverse flow.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
^^ ? Really? but thats not a typical result. He also lives in TN where the temperature doesn't go up and down a lot which is a factor too

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor