Removing Back Seat Brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I'm just starting to get going on an 82 Bonneville and noticed someone cut the back seat braces where it meets the trunk floor. WTF? i'm not sure why someone would do that. As far as I can tell, the car wasn't ever wrecked and everything looks straight and solid. I want to replace this brace but not sure how to cut one out of a car at the junkyard.I'm hoping someone can give me some tips and advice. Thanks in advance for any help..timo22

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Could you get in with a battery powered sawzall, and do you have one? Seems like that would be the best tool for the job. That way you could cut more than you need and trim at home.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-cordless-reciprocating-saw-68240.html

I used a cordless Dewalt. To do it right (without damage) plan on bringing a spot weld remover bit for your drill too (Harbour Fright) It's a time consuming job but with some patience you can do it. I've cut a few Grand Prix rear braces out of junk cars this way. I welded one into my 442. It looks like the GNX bracing and IMO much better than the ugly aftermarket brackets available.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
It all depends how much of the brace you want / need. On my car the whole seatback was cut to install a monster stereo. I found a gp being parted by a forum member and cut the top right out to the rear window / trucklid lip. On the bottom I cut thru the floor around where it spot welds. That allowed me to trim it back to where it would fit over the little bit of rear parcel shelf I still had in my car.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It all depends how much of the brace you want / need. On my car the whole seatback was cut to install a monster stereo. I found a gp being parted by a forum member and cut the top right out to the rear window / trucklid lip. On the bottom I cut thru the floor around where it spot welds. That allowed me to trim it back to where it would fit over the little bit of rear parcel shelf I still had in my car.

This is what I had in mind when I suggested the sawzall. Just cut more out of the donor car than you need and then do the spot weld removal and trimming back at home.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Well, 6 months later and I got lucky. As it turns out, once I cleaned the trunk out, removed the trunk carpet and rear seat , I discovered someone had merely sawed all three braces and rolled them partially up and down. I was able to get the braces to meet less the 1/16" saw cut. A couple pairs of vice grips and a little welding and good as new.
I decided I am going to put this car together using junkyard and used parts as much as possible . This car will not be like my other ones with a stack of receipts from parts stores and Summit. As a matter of fact, I don't want any receipts! Lol. I realize stuff like brakes, ball joints and hoses will be bought new,but where I can, it will be from C/L or the yards.
The next issue I had was the door key. Or should I say trunk key. Guess I should have checked before I bought it.
I was able to find a clean 4 door cutlass with the key. For 10.00 I got the trunk,doors, and glovebox cylinders. I was pretty happy that I need only two keys for the car.
Then , of course was the search for inner fender extensions. Between this forum and C/L I was able to find them plus two needed interior pieces.
Except the headliner,both the interior and exterior are in great shape with no rust issues. The drivetrain is a different story. A worn out leaking 3.8 and 200 trains are on their last leg. I already have 305 and 700 to stick in it. I know everyone says at least put a 350 in it but I have a 305 already. Minimum financial investment.
So far I've already installed a monte ss steering box, 1 1/4" front bar, 7/8" rear bar and a jeep shaft. I have acquired a set of 14 x7 Pontiac rally's, a 373 posi rear end and two tires.
I probably won't tear it apart for a couple of months . I'm helping a fellow member get his monte re done. I'll try and update once I get rolling. Timo22
l

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    837.9 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well, 6 months later and I got lucky. As it turns out, once I cleaned the trunk out, removed the trunk carpet and rear seat , I discovered someone had merely sawed all three braces and rolled them partially up and down. I was able to get the braces to meet less the 1/16" saw cut. A couple pairs of vice grips and a little welding and good as new.
I decided I am going to put this car together using junkyard and used parts as much as possible . This car will not be like my other ones with a stack of receipts from parts stores and Summit. As a matter of fact, I don't want any receipts! Lol. I realize stuff like brakes, ball joints and hoses will be bought new,but where I can, it will be from C/L or the yards.
The next issue I had was the door key. Or should I say trunk key. Guess I should have checked before I bought it.
I was able to find a clean 4 door cutlass with the key. For 10.00 I got the trunk,doors, and glovebox cylinders. I was pretty happy that I need only two keys for the car.
Then , of course was the search for inner fender extensions. Between this forum and C/L I was able to find them plus two needed interior pieces.
Except the headliner,both the interior and exterior are in great shape with no rust issues. The drivetrain is a different story. A worn out leaking 3.8 and 200 trains are on their last leg. I already have 305 and 700 to stick in it. I know everyone says at least put a 350 in it but I have a 305 already. Minimum financial investment.
So far I've already installed a monte ss steering box, 1 1/4" front bar, 7/8" rear bar and a jeep shaft. I have acquired a set of 14 x7 Pontiac rally's, a 373 posi rear end and two tires.
I probably won't tear it apart for a couple of months . I'm helping a fellow member get his monte re done. I'll try and update once I get rolling. Timo22
l
Tim, I really like the budget approach. That 305 will feel pretty good with a good tune up, that 3.73 and the low first gear in the 700R4. It will be a nice budget cruiser.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Well, in keeping with my low budget approach, I scored a set of rear lower control arms for my Bonneville . I picked these off a 2002 Camaro. These are the same as GBody ' s except way newer. No rust and 15 year old bushings as opposed to 35 year old ones. I cut some tubing and some 1 1/2" flat stock for boxing them in. I know a lot of guys will say go aftermarket or poly bushings , but I'm trying to strengthen my car with as little cash as I can. I still haven't decided whether I will gas weld or mig it. So far, I have about 25.00 in these arms. Here are some pics. I will post pics when I get a chance to weld them up...timo22

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    777.4 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    855.9 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    690.9 KB · Views: 211
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor