removing my ECM

Status
Not open for further replies.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Hows it going.Im about to remove my ecm.Reason being I'm running a non ecm controlled motor with Edelbrock carb and intake.and I'm using Auto meter gauges so I'm running no sensors and Im running a 200r4 once I remove the ecm the lock up function is not going to work on the transmission. so my question is can I remove all the wires from the ecm and only leave the transmission wires will it work .Or is the a way I can run a switch.Or if I remove the transmission plug completely is it a big deal for a for a Dailey driver ...thank you for your help in advance.I found treads similar to this one but no one posted the outcome thanks

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
RO86SS said:
Hows it going.Im about to remove my ecm.Reason being I'm running a non ecm controlled motor with Edelbrock carb and intake.and I'm using Auto meter gauges so I'm running no sensors and Im running a 200r4 once I remove the ecm the lock up function is not going to work on the transmission. so my question is can I remove all the wires from the ecm and only leave the transmission wires will it work .Or is the a way I can run a switch.Or if I remove the transmission plug completely is it a big deal for a for a Dailey driver ...thank you for your help in advance.I found treads similar to this one but no one posted the outcome thanks
idk how do do it but my car has a switch for the lock up converter. sorry I bought the car like this lol I have a th350c though so I'm pretty sure it's the same concept...after around 50mph I flip the switch and it engages the converter

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
Welll that let's me know its possible.How does it work is it a hassle to remember.When do you use it on highways ?

Blueboy84

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2010
Northern Kentucky
You won't be able to leave the transmission portion of the ECM operable. So you will need to wire in a switch for the lock-up.

I've not done this myself, so i can't offer much more than that. I do know that there are some write-ups on removing the ECM over on the 4th gen monte site that should be helpful to you.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
ya there are many threads on removing the ecm.but nobody post the outcome.thanks i will :D look deeper on how to wire a switch.thank you

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston

1984-monte-carlo-ss

G-Body Guru
May 30, 2011
Long Island, New York
RO86SS said:
Welll that let's me know its possible.How does it work is it a hassle to remember.When do you use it on highways ?
its not that much of a hassle and i use it anywhere when im going over 50mph. and when i slow down i have to flip the switch off...its really not that bad

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Aside from better fuel milage, TC lockup also allows for a cooler running transmission....since there is virtually no slippage.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
thanks Bill I'm gonna look into that

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
a mess

Attachments

• IMG_20120218_150843.jpg
    IMG_20120218_150843.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 861
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor