removing passenger side remote mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Hi guys please help me before I start breaking stuff. I want to take off the passenger side door but I can't get the mirror off because of the remote cables. I got the bezel off it and started pulling it through the dash but it gets stuck about half way behind where the radio would be. I need it off so the door can come off the car. Is there is good way to remove it without taking the dash apart? I don't see why it won't just go through so I need some help before I get mad and start yanking on it and breaking stuff.

turbogeezer

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2012
Hi guys please help me before I start breaking stuff. I want to take off the passenger side door but I can't get the mirror off because of the remote cables. I got the bezel off it and started pulling it through the dash but it gets stuck about half way behind where the radio would be. I need it off so the door can come off the car. Is there is good way to remove it without taking the dash apart? I don't see why it won't just go through so I need some help before I get mad and start yanking on it and breaking stuff.
I cut mine and replaced it with a non remote mirror. If you cut it and leave about a eight inch pigtale you can still use the same mirror.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
This may equate to apples vs oranges but....when I pulled a remote right side mirror set up from a Monte Carlo to use in my El Camino the cable was zip tied to the wiring harness behind the dash, easily accessible through the glove box opening. I believe your H/O should have a cable that limits how far down the glove box door opens. Carefully remove the cable and allow the door to rotate down which allow you to locate the cable and where it may be attached.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
This may equate to apples vs oranges but....when I pulled a remote right side mirror set up from a Monte Carlo to use in my El Camino the cable was zip tied to the wiring harness behind the dash, easily accessible through the glove box opening. I believe your H/O should have a cable that limits how far down the glove box door opens. Carefully remove the cable and allow the door to rotate down which allow you to locate the cable and where it may be attached.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.
thanks for the tip. When I started to stick my hand back there I found that the cable wraps once around the wiring harness and that's what it was stuck on and it was a pain to get out and I'm going to hate getting it back in now

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
One tip I read(don't know if mentioned already, is to attached a 6 ft long wire to the end(adj knob) and pull the cable out of the dash and once cable is free disconnect the wire and leave routed inside of dash. To install, connect wire to knob and pull into dash.

Not my idea - just passing it on.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
One tip I read(don't know if mentioned already, is to attached a 6 ft long wire to the end(adj knob) and pull the cable out of the dash and once cable is free disconnect the wire and leave routed inside of dash. To install, connect wire to knob and pull into dash.

Good tip.
Took a little time to fish the cable and adjuster into my El Camino!:doh:

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016

Not my idea - just passing it on.
I actually did that hopefully it'll help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor